Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i took everyones advise here a bought a set of 4" carbide runners, if you guys recall my sled just pushed and wont turn so i adjusted the front of the track looser and added carbides to help for my 87 arctic cat jag 440, so today i went to put them on, lifted the front of the sled, pulled the skis off and holy smokes! the brand new hardbars i put on last year were totally smoked, i mean only a 1/8" before they were into my ski skins, i cant beleive it, now mind you i only got to ride the sled 130 miles last year, and the snow was at least 6" deep, i dont consider that marginal snow, i rode a bit on the road, but it was snow covered and packed, the other 120 miles was ridden on powerlines behind my house mostly open fields, so what gives? i expected these still to be in very good shape for the conditions i rode in, i realize they are just mild steel bars, with a bead of weld run the lenth, i sure hope these carbides last longer than 130 miles, what do you guys think? am i doing something wrong? if these carbides get thin im gonna score some titainum or something and make my own, have any of you done this? i have a kick butt mig welder so i think i can make my own for cheaper than im buying them for, what do you all think ???

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
586 Posts
It's possible to go through 2 or 3 sets of those steel runners in a season.I used to run an old cat and thats the way it was.I bet carbides should last pretty good.

my brain hurts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I can usaully run a season with carbide runners, but last year i went through 2 pairs of 6" carbides. than i took non carbide ones and welded anothe bar the same size to the bottom and a welded a strip down the center and they are alot cheeper, but dont offer the best steering on ice. that was on my xcr 600, (without carbide or ad ons i just go straight!.) Know i got a 98 ZR 440 Sno-Pro and it has 10" of carbide. i took it on the lake last march when i bought it with minimal ice, so i gave it on to the ice and some broke but i pulled up and was shocked with fully studded track and the carbide i almost rolled when i went to turn. (O the controll!!!!!!)
Go with Carbide it really helps.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Yup, i went through one set of carbides last year, i made almost 1000 miles though. Quite a bit of it was in marginal snow conditions, because of the sucky winter.

-Dean

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I've used 10" in the past and the carbide actually ended up breaking off in sections, or just falling out. The metal bar surrounding the carbide wore too fast and i ended up throwing them away. It takes quite a bit of effort to turn them too, but now i went down to 6" and it works perfectly overall. Roughly 1000 miles or 1 season with 6" for me. It's worth the money.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah, I put a set of 6 in carbides on my sled last winter and put on about 1200 miles. Looks like I only used up half of the carbide, so I should be able to get at least a half season out of em this year.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I just put new ez-steer carbides on my XLT last night. They were 6" of 75 degree carbide from bottom line. I like them because the top of the bar is flat to prevent rollover. I sure hope they last a while, they were like $50.00.

New sliders too, for any newbies out there like me you have to cut some plastic off of both ends if you want the screw hole to line up. As usual the first one took 45 minutes to replace the second 15 min tops.

I have 96 Woody's studs to put on and then a wash and wax and I'm ready to go.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The carbides should last you many times the miles of regular hardweld ones. It doesn't take many road crossings to wear away the mild steel bars.
I've got about about 2000 miles on a set of 10" Woody's. It's about time to replace them, the carbide is still there but it's not very sharp any more.

2001 ZL800
Delta IIs
Power Breather
MBRP Silencer
Coupling Kit
Goodwin Clutch Kit

Creek beds don't make good brakes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts