Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my cougar over the summer and she runs pretty good but after a while she just quits would it be dirty carbs, or would it be the idle control sensors gone bad? has anyone heard if the carbs are crap or are they good. the brand of carbs that came with it is Mikuni. is this a good brand? help me out, Thanks.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Ok first off here...Mikuni carbs are what about 80% of all snowmobiles have. They are a tried and true design with a few flaws, but snowmobiliers have come to accecpt. I may be wrong here since i'm not an A/C guy, but i dont believe that you have any type of sensors on your carbs. You may have one up by the throttle lever, but that is for a stuck throttle and shouldn't cause stalling.

Anyways, when you say it just quits, how long does it run before it quits? Does it slowly die? or is it like someone is turning off the ignition switch? Does it die at higher RPM or just at Idle?

It could be due to the fact that you are running the sled in warmer temperatures than what the carbs are setup for, and its loading up the engine until it finally stalls. Give us a few more answers to the questions i've asked and we'll do what we can to help ya out,

and i see that your a new member, welcome to The Ultimate Snowmobile Forum!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I had a similar problem on my Mach 1, turns out the fuel left in the carbs gummed up the idle jets (lo-speed). Mine would do great everywhere except that when you were done riding it, it would only idle for about 5 seconds, decay, then die. I took them off and, using carb cleaner, sprayed all down the throut of them both; let them sit, did it again and drained as much out as I could through the bottom drain tap. Re-installed, then put a bit of gum-out in my gas and cranked it...good 2 go. Now, at the end of the season, I'll either drain my carbs, or shut-off fuel and let the engine go till it dies. And, yes, Mikuni's are great carbs.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I know the skidoo mukuni carbs are known for the idle jets to do this. I agree with rotax, clean the carbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts