Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1995 Polairs 440 fan Indy Sport sled has had an issue with the carbs. Each carb has an outlet about mid way up the throttle body that was never connected to any hose or anything. In the past few years typically in the fall when I would first fire up the sled fuel might come out of either outlet when the sled was running. Typically after driving it a few hundred feet it would stop and I would be good for the season. This fall I could not get one of the carbs to stop spewing fuel out this outlet so I took the carbs apart and cleaned them. Floats did not have any fuel in them (sometimes they leak and sink thus calling for fuel when they don't need it) so I just put it all back together. I have put about 100 miles on the sled since that time. Now both carbs are spewing fuel out those outlets again and won't stop. If you gas it they will stop but at idle or slower speeds that don't call for much fuel the gas is just coming out. Ny ideas?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
something in there is causing them to stick. Check your fuel for water and flush if needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Them" you mean the floats or the needles that the floats push on?
What are you saying is getting stuck?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem with my 90' 400. I tried cleaning the needle valve assembly and the float pins, but it never worked for long. I tried many recommendations, until my buddy (pro moto-x mechanic), great guy to know, told me that my main needle valve assembly is probaby worn-out, just a few thou. and it binds. I purchased two new Need valve assembly's and SHABAM, it was good to go!

Check out this PDF as a reference and look at item 69. It's a cheap fix to many headaches..........trust me, I've been there, LOL.

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/tm42xview121801.pdf

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
another good thing to do is to put small inline filter going to each carb ,that way you filter out the trash before it gets to you're seats

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would also say that if cleaning doesn't fix it then get new needle and seats and I would bet that would fix it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All excellend suggestions. I am going to try to find a kit that has needle valves, seats, bowl gaskets and floats. Might as well do it all while I am in there. Then I will get inline filters for both feed lines. Be a few weeks before I get back up to the cottage but will let you know how it went.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know what mm mikuni's the 95 indy 440 sport has? Sled is now 100 miles from here and I want to get the parts ordered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts