Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 Indy 650 that ran fine last year. Now hard to start, runs for a while then stops. Looks like its flooding, gas is comming out of the carbs. New plugs, new gas. All is stock and no carb parts have ever been changed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Left the machine dry out overnight, centre carb is leaking out gas from the air opening, is this a float problem?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd like to know. My machine spits a bit of gas back out of the carb and won't run at all although it ran great the other two times I ran it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This could be a float problem. If the floats are stuck in the down position, it will allow the float bowl to become overfilled. If they are stuck at the top, that would gas lack of fuel. So maybe they are stuck at the bottom. Do you have reeds?? Those could be frozen together.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked all the floats, they are fine, does not have reeds.
More it runs it getting a little better, however still blowing a lot of white smoke.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Piston porting instead of reeds.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
bman is right, that year of sled is piston port induction, too old, but you may want to check those floats as it was mentioned earlier, also, may not hurt to have a peek at the chokes while your in there.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
sounds like a stuck choke to me... My friends sled did the same thing, and a choke was rusted, and stuck on... Lots of white smoke, didn't idle, had some top end, but not alot.

-Dean

·
Registered
181 Posts
Could be a stuck choke, but white most of the time equals water. I had white on my 95 XLT SP about two months ago, and had to change my head gasket. But i changed it with a thinner performance head gasket that added 12 psi of compression and 3 hp. My 95 XLT SP doesnt have reeds, just piston porting.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Ok, if you have gas coming out of the carbs i would say that you have a stuck float, now bear in mind that when i say stuck float, i also am referring to the inlet needle valve, some times the floats can work perfectly but the needles can be stuck or not sealing properly. Put a clean gas line on the carb inlet and blow into the other end while moving the floats up and down, when the floats are moved up you should not be able to blow ANY thing through the gas line, with the floats down you should be able to blow very easily through the tube. Now i also agree with Skrplyr 23 in the sence that white usually means water, but i have seen that particular types of oil smoke white instead of blue like most do. First take care of the carb problem and keep an eye on your coolant level. If the coolant level goes down the the head gasket is most likely your problem. Also you may want to invest in a new set of floats for each carb as they do become waterlogged over time.

Polaris is my way out

Edited by - TriumphoverU on 10 Dec 2001 22:20:48

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked the chokes and the centre one is stuck and will not come out of the carburator. Any ideas on how to get it out? I put some W-40 and let it sit, still stuck.

I will replace the head gaskets next. Polaris tells me that I should stick with their gaskets (very $$) or can I go with aftermarket?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have always used Cometic gaskets in my 650's without any problems. That is what Wiseco sends out with their piston kits.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You are most likely going to need new head gaskets and carb lines. Flooding happens most to restricted gas flow through the lines

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ride Snowmobiles, baseball, bowling, and golf require only ONE ball!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
guys, that sled I was talking about that had a stuck choke and made white smoke was and old 76 pantera 5000. Air cooled, no cooling system involved besides the air flowing over it. The white smoke was because one of the cylenders wouldn't even run, it was so rich. You could put your hand under the exhaust outlet, and it would be soaked with gas quite quickly.

-Dean

1 - 16 of 16 Posts