Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just picked up a parts sled that has a locked up 500 EFI motor and I was wondering how difficult it would be to convert my other sled, Which is essentially a budget build mod sled/beater build from carburetor to EFI. Obviously I would need to change fuel pumps but I was wondering if I would have to change anything else. I did a quick search before work and nothing came up. Thanks for any help or guidance I receive

·
Registered
30 Posts
You’re not saying what motors or years you are talking about. Switch from carb to EFI may be possible depending on motors. There’s more to it than swapping out throttle bodies, adding the necessary sensors, high output fuel pump, and ECM wiring is also necessary. B.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’re not saying what motors or years you are talking about. Switch from carb to EFI may be possible depending on motors. There’s more to it than swapping out throttle bodies, adding the necessary sensors, high output fuel pump, and ECM wiring is also necessary. B.
My bad I must have forgotten to add the model years for the sleds. The one I’m trying to swap to EFI is a 1992 Indy 500 sp. The sled with the EFI already is a 1994 Indy 500. Both sleds still have there original 500 Fuji motors. The parts sled I have has all of the wiring, etc. that I think I will need. I know it would be easier to just rebuild the other sleds motor with the EFI but I’m trying to keep my sled as budget friendly as possible as it’s gonna be rode by my younger brother, his friends/my friends who don’t have sleds, and myself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
IDK Polaris..... But I would assume the Mag, and triggers not work from a Carb to EFI ???

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's not worth the trouble. For one, the porting size on the EFI motor is larger, so the carb boots and pipe wont fit on a carb motor. Also, the electrical parts are extinct, so if you need something you cant buy aftermarket your s.o.l. The HP gain between carb and EFI is hardly noticeable.
You can convert the EFI motor to carb by using carb boots from a late model indy 650 ( I think 92,93) and keeping the efi Y pipe. The port for the carb fuel pump pulse line is cast, but not drilled in the case.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not worth the trouble. For one, the porting size on the EFI motor is larger, so the carb boots and pipe wont fit on a carb motor. Also, the electrical parts are extinct, so if you need something you cant buy aftermarket your s.o.l. The HP gain between carb and EFI is hardly noticeable.
You can convert the EFI motor to carb by using carb boots from a late model indy 650 ( I think 92,93) and keeping the efi Y pipe. The port for the carb fuel pump pulse line is cast, but not drilled in the case.

Hey, thanks a bunch for responding, that pretty much sums it all up for me then, I’m gonna stick with my carbs and just find a set of jets to rejet my carbs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes there are alot of threads about jetting a 500 on the interscreen. Jetting, gearing and clutching is all you can do. Don't mess with pipes, they do nothing beneficial.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts