Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 600 ZRT, can I use Castrol 2 stroke oil in it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
lol why wouldn't you be able to??

You can use any tc-w3 oil.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
If you are running normal oil and if you plan on using synthetic you are recommended to run your tank to the lowest point possible before adding the different kind of oil. Shell recommends that you mix no more than 10/90 mineral/synthetic due to the possibility of deposits that can harm your engine.

I just watched this on Snowtrax television.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think the oil, and the cat pistons would work well together if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You can use any oil you choose. The cheaper ones leave more carbon deposits and dirty up exhaust valves quicker, but they all work. I ran Lubrimatic (cheap brand from Walmart) in my kids sled for years without any problems. I wouldn't use it in my good sled though.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Oh yeah, this just came to my head. I once heard that once you use synthedic, you shouldn't go back to regular...

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
You can switch oil all you want, whenever you want. You shouldn't MIX oils. If you plan to switch from one to the other, you should run the tank nearly dry, then pour the new stuff in. That way it just changes from one to another.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There are a lot of rumors about sythetic oils. Seals will leak, you can't mix the two, etc. The truth is synthetic is superior and won't effect any of the seals in chaincases, crank seals, or anything else. Just keep in mind what P-mad said above, you can mix them somewhat, but don't let it sit around like that. Ride ride ride until the mixed oil is out of the tank.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what would be better castrol, or castrol super, and will they gum up the valves.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I used to have to take a teaspoon of that every day in the winter when I was a kid. Oh, wait, that was caster oil! lol

Jacqui.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dad doesn't wan't to spend $25.00 for a jug of oil, so what is a cheap oil, that works good, and won't screw up my sled.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am worried about is the coating on the pistons, I dont want to fry that, it's very expensive to replace.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by jacqui583
[br]I used to have to take a teaspoon of that every day in the winter when I was a kid. Oh, wait, that was caster oil! lol

Jacqui.
LOL, Yuck!!![:D][:D][:(]

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by ZRT 600
[br]I am worried about is the coating on the pistons, I dont want to fry that, it's very expensive to replace.
What kind of a coating do you have on them?

Or are you talking about the NiCasil coating on the cylinder walls?
I'm not sure, i'm asking you.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think that any quality name brand oil should be fine as long as you stick with it. I have been using Yamaha semi-synthetic in my Polaris because all my friends have Yamahas and it works fine. I got a 4 gallon case last month for $44 US.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know what type of coating it is, all I know is atleast all ZRT have it.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, what about the valves.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Generally the cheaper the oil the more carbon will form and the quicker the exhaust valves will stick. I would try the castrol and if that is a problem, try amsoil or a synthetic. There isn't much danger in starting with a cheaper oil, just work to clean the valves.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts