Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put over 100 miles so far on my zr600 sled. I thought it might have been snow coming into hood that might be bogging sled down but now i know it aint that. What happens is yesterday i put on 61 miles. the entire time it would run good, but here and there it would cut out completely and then start back running good until it would reoccur again and again. mostly at low to middle end throttle settings. It runs excellent when cracked open at straight aways, but you begin to let off on throttle and it would start the complete die and just when im thinkin crap its gonna kill, it would take off and run good for a little bit. Same thing all 61 miles. worse toward the end of the ride though. Does anybody think maybe fuel filter is plugged or dirty, or maybe injectors? if so, where is the fuel filter located on it, and or do i need a special kind of injector cleaner to use on this? any help would be appreciated. Thank you folks! Semper-Fidelis ! Corporal

[red] Moved to The Shop by Polaris-Man[/red]

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I think AC had some problems with the throttle safety switch causing it to intermitently shut off the engine. I don't remember how they fixed it; tightening the cable or the throttle lever pin orj replacing throttle thumb bushings... something like that.

Somebody here should know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know my wifes 99 ZL600 had to get update something like you said about kill switch doing somehting like that. I only know this cuz the dealer said this when we bought her sled last week. Thanks for input. Im just trying to save $55. per hour labor for mechanic. Hope to hear something from somebody that might think there aware of issues for possibilities. Semper-Fidelis ! Corporal U.S.M.C.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like the exact problem I was having with my Wildcat 700EFI. I have been on these fourms for the last two years trying to fix my machine and yesterday I finally found the solution. First I will show you what I was posting as my problem and see if it is the same as your situation.

I have a 1995 Arctic Cat Wildcat touring 700 EFI with 6000miles on it. The machine idles and works perfect up to 6500 RPM's, anything after that besides being wide open at 8300 RPM's the machine works like crap. She bogs out and looses total power. If you try to hold her at 7000 RPM's it seems like it wants to shut off. I don't know if its a gas problem or electrical. I have replaced the smart valve fuel pickups in the tank which includes the filters and no change. I have had both clutches rebuilt no change.

It almost seemed to me that the problem was between 1/3 and 2/3 throttle. Try to put the throttle anywhere in between there and she would die, let off the gas a little or full open and she would work perfect. I narrowed it down to the Throttle Position Sensor I replaced that and she works like new. The part was $260.00 + tax CDN but I spent more that that trying to find out what it was. I actually got a loan of a sensor from a friend with a Panthera 580 to try it because I wasnt replacing anymore parts until I had found the cause. If you replace it yourself you should get the manual because the throttle vaulve angle and voltage must be correct. The only way to do that is with the ARCTCO EFI Analyzer.I dont think I have ever typed this much before, time fo a nap. Let me know how you make out, anyway good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
starting to get scary. Snds more and more like im gonna have to take to mechanic to do. but i will wait just a bit to hear from you guys. Analyising and whatever ya mentioned, thats kinda over my head. CRAP! I pray to get it figured out soon though. supposed to be leaving for 4 days to the UP in Michigan sleedin in 3 days. 11 of us plus or minus me! Whaa! [V]Keep up suggestions guys and thanks for input and i will post when and if i can afford to find out this year. To bad snow was this late this year to!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I posted a similar article.(course I didn't recieve any responses)lol. My Zrt 600 was running great during a snow storm. Then 50 miles into the run when I let up on the throttle it sounded like it wanted to die. At 1/2 or full it was good. When I finally stopped with the sled and didn't apply gas the sled died right out. Almost like I hit the kill switch. The other funny thing is on the trail I went to hit the kill switch and the sled wouldn't shut off. I'm thinking because of the snow something electrical got wet. When I started the sled later that day it idled fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just at a dealer and this is what they told me was my problem just explaining it to them. They told me it sounded like the Throttle seal. Just a plastic little button looking thing that cost .99 cents. There was a plastic peice missing from original when i replaced it. very easy and 5 min. to do. just take off a little cclip from underside of throttle and remove little washer by that and pull pin up topside that holds throttle in place. Take out the throttle seal button located on the top and replace with new plastic button. very easy. They said happens alot with fuel injected sleds. I still have to testdrive it tomorrow cuz just to lazy to unload from trailer right now. but thats what they told me. Cross my fingers. When i explained to them what old peice looked like they said yup, that was your prob. Hope so. Like I said i will test drive tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i just got mine back from the shop, and the symptons u guys explained are similar to what i was expereiencing...it had something to do with the throttle position sensor, or kill switch, all it took was to disconnect a wire and they said it ran fine the 40 miles they rode it after they did that....i havent got to ride it as they forgot to put key back in...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arcict cat guy. Anyway you can find out what wire they disconnected. Thanks. Semper-Fidelis!!!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
it had something to do with the kill switch.....and i know i have read about it before.....hmmm.....i cant recall what it is now tho

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Sounds like your throttle override,they are famouse for this.its a saftey feature so if the throttle sticks it wont run.when they act up they act just like this.i had to take my 2001 ZRT in for addjustment.it takes a torque bit with a hole in the center.it only took them about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
throttle override...you bet!! chk it out...I think that'll do it...similar problems on late 80's Yami's.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Its the plug that comes off the right side of the bars. it unplugs next to the steering post. Its a 3 wire plug. That is the throttle override system.The throttle position sensor is mounted on the side of the fuel rail and it governs the amout of fuel to the injectors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But if you unplug this 3-wire plug. that would only be good just for a temp. emergency would'nt it? until matter could be fixed. Myself i think i would want that hooked up in case of freeze or what-ever, would'nt you? But I just got back from Muniseng MI. for 3 days and put around 350 miles on my sled now. The little plastic throttle seal 99 cent part was the prob. Only once did i have a prob. at night time. I came across intersection and had to stop. Then when i started, it killed then started running again, then did it a few more times right away. so I pulled off trail, and by flashlight took out the throttle seal thinking it was broke, and realized at that moment that earlier on the trail i would buy 2 more of those peices just in case i had the prob. again. when i pulled the new peices out of my pouch, CRAP! the dealer up there gave me 2 of the bottom plastic washers instead of the top side ones that i needed. well, lucky me, it was still ok. I could'nt figure it out. But wwhenever my thumb pushed the throttle on the lower bottom part of the throttle it would do the kill thing. kinda still some play in the throttle mount. Not snug like i would prefer. So i squeezed accelerator more on the end of throttle then it worked ok. ????? guess i will have to live with it. Until??? lol. Just wanted to let ya guys know what happened. Semper-Fidelis !

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this same problem with my '00 ZR600 EFI.
Before you replace anything just disconnect the entire connection going to the kill switch and take it for a ride. This worked like a dream for me (except I have no kill switch)...but the bogging has completely stopped.
If it still boggs after this then it isn't the throttle safety swtich.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am from europe, what do you mean with semper-fidelis?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I spent 4 years in the U.S. Marine Corps before being medically discharged for a traumatic brain injury and 13 broken bones on upper half of body. But I am very proud that I am a U.S. Marine. That is something nobody will ever be able to take away from me. Semper-Fidelis means "Always Faithfull!" Here is a link to my website that some of you might find neat to check-out. And I strongly thank everyone for there replies to my problems. All are very helpfull and a good thing to remember. But here is the link to my Dog Corporals website that can give a sense of my loyalty to the Corps.By the way, Corps sounds like Core!, not like a dead body. (http://3531usmc.homestead.com/home3531.html) Semper-Fido from the Corporal who represents all K-9s past and present who have served in the Armed Forces. OOH-RAH !! Oh and this is just a motivational shout of a Marine!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts