Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a 1996 Pantera ( 2955 miles ) with a 580 EFI motor. For the first 100 miles or so it ran sluggish at mid-throttle, but at the high end took off like a scalded dog, 90 was no problem. When I checked & changed the plugs a few times they black=rich.

Now it won't go over 50 m.p.h. at all, and the plugs are downright wet. Even changing the plugs does nothing to help.

I asked the local Cat dealer his ideas, and he said to bring it in and turned his back.

I went to another Cat dealer and he said to check the codes ( which none are flashing ) and maybe it is a sensor. And to bring it in.

Any ideas out there??

TIA,

DNO.

[/font=Impact][green][/green][/font=Arial]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Check this old topic for details of the codes that the ECU outputs for troubleshooting.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4613

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post-back Tim2. Excellent link posting that did not arise when I searched.

But... I am not getting any blinks out of the box on key-on. I even tried it by starting it and nothing. Gulp. I would think there would need to be some kind of proper action with the EFI or it wouldn't run at all. I was able to ride it about 50 miles at a max of 50 m.p.h. following the group far behind.

Thanks Again,

DNO

·
Registered
127 Posts
The LED flashes when the key is turned on. It is difficult to see. Email me a fax number and I will send multiple pages from the manual. Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts