Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a AC snowmobile, but have heard they have had major engine reliability issues over the past 5 years. Any truth to that or models to stay away from. I would hate to have to switch to Polaris!

·
Registered
175 Posts
razorsharp, my uncle has had cats all his life and never had a problem. He currantly has three, they I'm not sure what years they are but he swears by them. I think it's just like anything else if you take care of it it will take care of you. I'm not one to brand bash, all these snowmobile companies have been in business for many years for a reason and if any of them sucked they would no longer be in buisness. Just my .02, good luck in your search.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i havent heard nething bout major engine problems on the ac's...

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hi Razorsharp, welcome to the forum. You have asked an ambiguous question.

I think its safe to say ALL motor manufacturers have their share of troubles along the way. Be more specific with the model you are interested in and you may get better feedback by previous owners.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'v had a 500 cougar, a 550 ext, and a 580 ext. All performed great, but I have heard that the 600 in the powder specials had piston failures and that the 700s had some clutch problems. Just wondering if there was any truth to it, but it doesn't sound like it.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i have a 99 powder spcial 600 EFI and have had no engine trouble.....ive only rode it for about 300 miles, but there are about 1500 on the sled and no engine problems

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have 97 zrt 600 with over 6000 hard miles, had no problems at all .
ordered new 2003 f7 snowpro

·
Registered
134 Posts
me and my dad have run cats....no problems with them at all...we have a 70 2 72's an 80 and my 95 no engine problems at all...the 70 still has original motor and it still runs strong...cat runs strong

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hey man....thought id let u in on my two cents worth.......i have a 97 zr 580 efi and ive had it for a long ass time....and the only engine trouble i had was a broken crank shaft...and that is very very odd thing to happen to a sled...and i didnt have to pay crap for it.....the dealer nor ARTIC CAT made me pay for a new one.....and they even went through my engine to see if anything else was wrong.....so if something would happen....there would still be a chance that cat would stand behind there sled

ARTIC CAT....my way to play

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would say you have an awesome dealer!! He probably deserves your support for a free fix like that.

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like I stick with cat.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
yah thats true...my dealer is awesome.....and the thing is....i dont even know him personally...just on a business level!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by zr580efi:
yah thats true...my dealer is awesome.....and the thing is....i dont even know him personally...just on a business level!

[/quote]

We need more dealers like this. Not like the one, I think steve had last year. I know there are some like this out there but we still need more of em.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/recalls/arcticcat/index.shtml

I did see on the above link that the 98 600's were having piston failures. That might be some of what I heard. I think I'll avoid them. I think that included the powder special. I'm a mountain rider so I'll be getting a long track.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
if ur engine blows because of the recall, u wont have to pay nutin, but it is a big pain in the A$$

·
Registered
7 Posts
Friend of mine has a 94 EXt 580 and had to have his engine rebuilt because the plating on the carb slides flaked off and siezed up the engine.... The dealer told him that it was a known flaw with the engine, but not a recall.... I have the excat same sled....same year everything....Haven't had any major problems with it!! I think it is the luck of the draw for any sled....it all depends on what kind of the night the engine builder had before he was building the engine....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts