Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard from a couple guys that in years to come, Ford truck will have Cat motors, similar to the way Dodge had Cummins. I say that sounds like a load of crap to me, but I guess it's possible. Even if it is just a ford motor with a cat sticker on it. If a ford had a real cat motor, I would definatly change my views on ford.

·
Registered
290 Posts
International builds their diesel motor in case you didnt know that. But a cat motor would be cool. I am ford guy but I was not a big fan of the 6.0 Powerstroke.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Cat doesn't produce enough engines to fill fords orders. A more possible thing would be if dodge would start using mercedes engines, ford would maybe try to get cummins into their trucks. I think around 2010 is when the dodge-cummins contract ends, so it will be intersting to see, also since ford and navistar are pissed at each other right now.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0701120110jan12,0,394060.story?coll=chi-business-hed

·
Registered
985 Posts
ford has had the opportunity in the past to run cummins and has always turned it down. the powerstroke has such a strong following all there study groups have said they would lose sales by using the cummins. ford owned a large chunk of cummins in the late 90's early 00's. but they sold it off after selling there big truck division to freightliner/merecedes. i doubt that cat will ever build a small truck engine. the large truck engines count for less 5% of there sales.
and more than 50% of cummins sales are overseas. you will probably see dodge with a mercedes diesel in the next 5 years. and if ford does anything, i would expect it to start making its own engines. international designed and built 4 and 6 cyl versions of the powerstroke for ford. and ford backed out of that deal.( they were going to put them in f150's and suv's)

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I thought ford sold the big trucks to sterling....SO you are saying sterling is owned by freightliner/merecedes.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
i thought ford was built there own power stroke for 2008?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
You can get a cummins in a f-450's and up. Dodge is going to be putting Mercedes in their trucks. I thought that was in 2008.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Originally posted by bulldog_shotgun
[br]ford has had the opportunity in the past to run cummins and has always turned it down. the powerstroke has such a strong following all there study groups have said they would lose sales by using the cummins. ford owned a large chunk of cummins in the late 90's early 00's. but they sold it off after selling there big truck division to freightliner/merecedes. i doubt that cat will ever build a small truck engine. the large truck engines count for less 5% of there sales.
and more than 50% of cummins sales are overseas. you will probably see dodge with a mercedes diesel in the next 5 years. and if ford does anything, i would expect it to start making its own engines. international designed and built 4 and 6 cyl versions of the powerstroke for ford. and ford backed out of that deal.( they were going to put them in f150's and suv's)
The cummins engine has a big following, and the cost of making a new engine is so costly i doubt ford would make their own. I highly doubt ford would get rid of the powerstoke, but if it did happen the cummins engine is a posibility. Cat is first a heavy equipment company that secondly makes engines.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by bigrok
[br]You can get a cummins in a f-450's and up...
You can also get Cats with them as well.

As for the Cat in a 3/4 - 1 Ton. I doubt that will happen anytime soon. There was talk of it awhile back, but it fell through pretty quick.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Originally posted by XCR
[br]i thought ford was built there own power stroke for 2008?
Nope its just the 6.4 powerstroke, which i guess is a beast.

I am pretty sure dodge has cummins for longer than that, from what i hear over on Dieselram, and Cumminsforum.

Dieselpower magazine had a little story about the CAT and who would be the first pickup to use it, they figured Dodge already has a good thing so they probably won't, GM has a decent engine (in their minds NOT mine) so they won't, but Ford is a possibility if this 6.4 doesn't go well. Also they said that Toyota might just because they need a name that will earn acceptance in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Originally posted by Blackcat
[br]

As for the Cat in a 3/4 - 1 Ton. I doubt that will happen anytime soon. There was talk of it awhile back, but it fell through pretty quick.
F-650. The 450 and 550 are light duty/pick-up style trucks.
Has anyone else seen the new fords with the 6.4? WTF? I can no longer see an engine,hell,I can't even find the belt(s). The exhaust looks like a small jet engine strapped under the truck. It's really quiet too. The only feature I liked was the integrated step in the tailgate. From a mechanics point of view, this thing is going to be a sonofabitch to work on.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Originally posted by butcher_boy
[br]
Originally posted by Blackcat
[br]

F-650. The 450 and 550 are light duty/pick-up style trucks.
Has anyone else seen the new fords with the 6.4? WTF? I can no longer see an engine,hell,I can't even find the belt(s). The exhaust looks like a small jet engine strapped under the truck. It's really quiet too. The only feature I liked was the integrated step in the tailgate. From a mechanics point of view, this thing is going to be a sonofabitch to work on.
Yep, to do any major engine work you gotta remove the front fenders, and cab. [xx(]

·
Registered
252 Posts
I heard that rumor over 12 years ago when I was in high school don't think it will ever happen.
I had a ford powerchoke and I'll never have another.
Tired of helping friends fix them all the time.
I'll stay with cummins

1 - 14 of 14 Posts