Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started the wife's sled today and the oil light stayed on, it's 1999 panther 550 touring. I checked the oil level it's half full and it's getting plenty of oil that nice 2 stroke smell. I was reading the manual tonight, and it says the oil warning light " alert light" will come at about one tank of gas. Anybody else have a cat that does this.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by wigga:
I was reading the manual tonight, and it says the oil warning light " alert light" will come at about one tank of gas.

[/quote]

I don't get it....

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From reading the manual, right around the time you use up a tank of gas the light will come on, even know it's half full. Must be on the newer cats or tourings, my other cat and polaris it can alot lower before the light come on.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I dont think we are reading this correctly....i believe what the manual is trying to say is that for every tank of gas you use, your oil level should go down enough to turn that light on. I could be mistaken, but your sled has no idea how much fuel its using so how would it know if you have went through 1 tank or 2? I would say look for a short in the wiring or else make sure the lighting harness is plugged in.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct TriumphoverU, it does not know, but maybe the sensor is set to light up around the use of a tank of gas, or I have a bad sensor. Sled only has 500 miles on it. When I get some oil to fill it tommorrow we"ll find out.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wrong, wrong, wrong. The light on a Cat will come on when there is only enough oil left to make through APPROXIMATELY one tank of fuel from the time the light comes on. The reasoning here is that if the light comes on you should be safe to get to the next gas stop before it runs out of oil. On the Panther it is either a bad sending unit which is the part in the oil tank, or a bad posistor {the gizmo that lights the warning light temporarily when you start the sled}It is located around the mess or wiring near the steering column.Look in an A.C. accessory catalog to see what one looks like.

You can Fly with EFI
Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by spaceman17:
Wrong, wrong, wrong. The light on a Cat will come on when there is only enough oil left to make through APPROXIMATELY one tank of fuel from the time the light comes on. The reasoning here is that if the light comes on you should be safe to get to the next gas stop before it runs out of oil. On the Panther it is either a bad sending unit which is the part in the oil tank, or a bad posistor {the gizmo that lights the warning light temporarily when you start the sled}It is located around the mess or wiring near the steering column.Look in an A.C. accessory catalog to see what one looks like.

You can Fly with EFI
Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio
[/quote]

Hey... Your infos helpful, But do we need the "wrong wrong wrong"?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Did'nt mean to seem like a dickweed ,but after seeing it in print I can see it seeming that way. Sorry,Sorry ,Sorry

You can Fly with EFI
Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
2,273 Posts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts