Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a im new here, and new at sledding, over the weekend i bought a 87 A.C. jag 440, just kinda doing some maintiance on it and noticed a couple of things that im not sure about so maybe some of you may know, ive noticed that the disc on my brake system has some play side to side, not rotational on the shaft, i think this is normal because the pads are stationary ? its not alot but i was just wondering, im gonna put new brake pads in anyhow, also when i was adjusting the track, my slides are still good for this year but over next summer id like to change them, whats the process for doing that,?, is it hard to do? it seems like thats the biggest wear item that i see, mind you im kinda learning as i go here, so please bear with me. thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey vetboy, I've had four Arctic Cats since I was 10 yrs old (74 Cheetah, 81 trail cat, 93 Wildcat, and now 2001 ZR600 EFI.
I loved them all.
You're brakes should be fine. As for the hyfax, you can change them out easily without much work. Just find the screw in the front of the hyfax, (use a screwdriver through a track window) take that out and line up the back of the hyfax with a track window, get a good pair of pliers and pull it right out, install the new ones the same way.

Bring on the white stuff!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Welcome aboard,
Zig gives good advice, follow thoses proceedurres and you will be fine. Hope you enjoy your sled.

Member #2 of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by 2000TCMC:

Welcome aboard,
Zig gives good advice, follow thoses proceedurres and you will be fine. Hope you enjoy your sled.

Member #2 of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team[/quote] thanks guys, just never did this sled stuff so im going by what the owners manual says, im watching e-bay hoping to see a complete repair manual on my jag but so far no luck, also i thought it to be a good idea to change the chaincase oil, it shows a plug to fill it a plug to check it, where do i drain it ? from what i gather it only takes 8 oz to fill it, i see no drain plug, do i just take the side case off? my manual dosent explain this procedure at all, and i thinking this is pretty important. thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If there is no drain plug, you can either take out the lowest plug then tilt the sled on its side to get it out (maybe into a can), or you can just take the cover off but it is messy. Make sure to check your chain tension and adjust if necessary, you don't want a lot of slack, or it may be stretched but you said it only has 1,200 miles so it should be fine. Also make sure you get a new gasket if needed for the cover. Good luck.

GO GREEN!!!!!!

Bring on the white stuff!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Your sled has a floating disc brake. Look for the drain plug on the back of the case,under the sled in the tunnel. Not all sleds have it! If your curious take the cover off to inspect the chain and adjuster. When you do the hyfax, spray WD-40 in the old ones a few minutes early and they usually glide right out the rear.Welcome to the sport of sled wrenchin'.

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

1 - 8 of 8 Posts