Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lights on my 99 700 poo were really dim and every so often they would go the bright to where they shoudl be all the time, when i tapped on the regulator this seemed to fix the problem i tried just jiggling wire to see if it was a lose connection and also clean the mounts to make sure it wasnt a ground problem. none of this did it so i swapped in a regulator i had on the bench out of a 95 cat triple 800, and the lights work perfect i dont even have it tightened down all the way yet and they work fine.

can i run it and not hurt anything or are they different?

·
Registered
87 Posts
not sure if running that cat one will hurt it. I also had a 99 700 that would do the same thing, I ended up getting one from my polaris dealer for about 65 bucks. DONT put on an aftermarket one... I made that mistake!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
idk, we order out off dennis kirk usually on small stuff like that, never hand an issues, or are they OEM

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
My $20 parts unlimited reg is good so far for a few years now. There was a thread a while back about using a cat reg on a poo...not sure which model. Search and find.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also i ohm metered it and just sitting it would push 75ohms, if i tapped on it i could get up to 300 ohms

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
No problems with running a Cat VR on a poo...

My dads 98 XC 700, moms 00 600 Touring, my xc 600 and my 98 xcr600 all have the Cat VR. The down fall of the poo VR is they are made out of plastic and get hot...Cats are metal. No problems and as you can see the lights are way brighter with the Cat VR. 2 out of the 4 of our sleds have been running that Cat VR for more than 3 years now with no issues. Oh...get the ZRT one. Doesnt matter if its the 600 or 800, for some reason the ZRT's had the better of the Cat ones in them.

200912155959139_19621.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
for the 20 bucks it takes to have hiperf.com drop one off the next day i would just go that route.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KRSS144 said:
No problems with running a Cat VR on a poo...

My dads 98 XC 700, moms 00 600 Touring, my xc 600 and my 98 xcr600 all have the Cat VR. The down fall of the poo VR is they are made out of plastic and get hot...Cats are metal. No problems and as you can see the lights are way brighter with the Cat VR. 2 out of the 4 of our sleds have been running that Cat VR for more than 3 years now with no issues. Oh...get the ZRT one. Doesnt matter if its the 600 or 800, for some reason the ZRT's had the better of the Cat ones in them.

200912155959139_19621.jpg
Lol, good cause then i am in luck since it came off my part ZRT800

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
black99xc700 said:
I bought the 20 dollar one... lasted about 30 mins. blew all my lights.
Just unlucky man. This will be the third season on my Parts Unlimited VR.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Got 5 seasons on my aftermarket vr.. It's in its second sled now.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, something caused my headlights to blow, backs are fine though, i guess i am going to be hasty and blame the regulator, i am looking at a parts unlimited one for 30 bucks, anyone had good or bad luck with them?

check that, they are cheaper from dennis kirk and they have more then one in stock, and free shipping so i think ill get a couple of them, we need one for our 00 xc to

·
Registered
453 Posts
dodgetruck2 said:
well, something caused my headlights to blow, backs are fine though, i guess i am going to be hasty and blame the regulator, i am looking at a parts unlimited one for 30 bucks, anyone had good or bad luck with them?

check that, they are cheaper from dennis kirk and they have more then one in stock, and free shipping so i think ill get a couple of them, we need one for our 00 xc to
If a voltage regulator goes bad, ALL the the lights do the same thing, they either don't work because they all blew up, or the don't work because they aren't getting voltage. There is only one circuit on that sled for lights. CHECK VOLTAGE. You already had a broken wire once, maybe there's another one somewhere? Also, make sure there is good contact between the chassis and the regulator, that's what is giving the sled clean voltage(remember only one wire going to the regulator?). So by saying "lights work fine, didn't even have the regulator tightened all the way", you've got bigger issues, bud. Maybe it's your "cheap mans HIDs", they could just be junk, maybe THEY burning up your regulators. Also remember, when CHECKING VOLTAGE, have your VOM set to AC current.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well it wasnt tightened all the way because the bolt was to long, i put the right one in and tightened it up but maybe it still isnt grounding good, and we have another sled runnings them never had a problem with them

·
Registered
453 Posts
dodgetruck2 said:
well it wasnt tightened all the way because the bolt was to long, i put the right one in and tightened it up but maybe it still isnt grounding good, and we have another sled runnings them never had a problem with them
I just can't emphasize enough, CHECK VOLTAGE. Pull your harness and bulb off of a low beam, with the bulb still in the harness put your two probes on two of your connectors(polarity doesn't matter here), start the sled, you should have 9-14VAC. If you have more than 14VAC, you have a regulator problem, if you have less than 9VAC, and other lights are still working, you have a broken wire. If you have between 9-14VAC, you have $hit light bulbs.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ya i'll do that to, which setting do i use, mine only has 200 VAC minimum setting

1 - 20 of 33 Posts