Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what everyone here prefers as far as the displacement of their sled.

i personally would have to stick with the twin 500. i dislike triples, and fans are too doggy for me. a 440 lc would be cool too, but i like the top speed of a 500 better. i wouldn't mind stepping up to a 600, but i'm still an advocate of small displacement engines. give me a 500 and i'll give you a good time :)

There's no stopping Arctic Cat........ REALLY!!

'99 XC SP 500

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'll stick with the 600 VES for now, allthough I have rode an 02' 500 XC and was pleased with the performance. I guess I wouldn't mind a 700 either, but like I said before I'm content with my 02' 600 XC.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
any at this point. I don;t really like be sledless :(. Least I have my truck :) I prefer 350Cui to a 700cc any day ;)

Edited by - Sled_Dog on March 10 2002 11:16:43 AM

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
i gotta 96 zrt 600. i don't understand why anyone would want anything more powerfull. 100+mph is FAST ENOUGH. i would just like that power in something lighter. perhaps a firecat. but i am NOT spending that kind of money for a sled. i could by 2.5 of mine for the price of a new sled. i would much rather have 2 or 3 really nice sleds than 1 too expensive one.
just my opinion though

1992 arctic cat jag deluxe
1996 ZRT 600

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
polaris's 700 really is a kicker. my dad has it in his sks (non ves) and you gotta love the torque of it. i just don't like the weight penalty, that's all. the 600 ves would be better suited to my tastes.

'99 XC SP 500

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well i prefer the triples....not soo much torque off the line, but they breathe so much better than the twins, they outrun them in a long flat race. I do ALOT of lake riding so i wouldnt be without my triple. I like the 600, but it seems that since im polaris partial, they are going to force me to buy an 800 next time around. Oh well
i wont complain. I believe that any 5 or 600 is a great sled for the average rider. Personally if i had to have a twin, i would go with the 800, just my opinion. people riding 700 or lager sleds, must be of sound mind, cuz if they arent, the sled will be wrapped around a tree before the winter is over. I guess what im gettin at, is it depends on your style of riding, where you ride, and how much experience you have.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
never know the triple triple may be a thing of the past within a year or two. Cat got rid of theirs. I had heard that XCR was gonna be goen this year but obviouslly not. I like triples too. Guess I am the odd ball theses days liking more cylinders. V8s and triples :)

Edited by - Sled_Dog on March 10 2002 7:56:42 PM

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i really dislike triples. had one for a week and that was enough. got rid of it in favor of my twin (which beat it in a race). the low end sucks, but it is true when they hit their sweet spot twins can't match em. maybe if i rode lakes, but i like air, lots of it, so it isn't my engine.

'99 XC SP 500

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
well I know the Viper has plenty of bottom end. I forget what dynos show but I know grass dragging it always just launched off the line like mad and took the lead though lost the lead when it came to the bigger boys.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'll put it this way then- too heavy for me. if i'm gonna dive it better be because i'm hitting the breaks, not because i have an extra 80 lbs up front.

'99 XC SP 500

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
well yamaha triples are pretty light. Heavier than most twins out now but lighter than almost all triples people think of. That is the Viper and SXR anyway.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's true. forgot about how light yammi gets their triples. i'm not about to buy a yammi anytime soon though.

'99 XC SP 500

·
Registered
95 Posts
I really like 700's (twins or triples, I don't care). But as sleds keep shedding weight and manufacturers keep packing more and more power into smaller packages, I'm starting to think that a 600 is as good as any.

The thing is that I try to pick a "do it all" sled; one that can be trail ridden or lake running, and could even climb a mountain or two. So that is why I say the 600/700.

TOO MUCH IS JUST RIGHT!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I prefer my power to be in the 500-600 range. I got a 600 AC twin right now, I really like it....its slightly big for me sometimes, just in size, not power.....I'm a small guy!
I would really like to try something like a light short track 500. The smallest I have gotten is a 580, Powder special long track. Never had a short track, because I ride in the mountains mostly but I think it would be easier to control for me, ANYWAYS......unless I can have both, I'm not getting rid of my 600 anytime soon.

'99 Arctic Cat Powder Special 600

Edited by - Venom on 11 Mar 2002 01:27:44

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
My preference is a liquid sled, 440 to 600 in size.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I really like the triples myself. They just seem to have a smoother feel and distribution of power, and yeah, the Viper definately has plenty of pep out of the whole. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that triples are going by the way side. Except for the VK5 and RX-1, Yamahas entire line up consists of triples.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
127 Posts
I looked at 500-800 twins,but decided that a 500 was enough for me.Repeatedly smoked a 600 tripple,great in trails,and on straights.
2002 MXZ 500 Sport
Rich

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Triples Rule as far as im concerned. Smooth power is what I like. If I could afford it I would have one of those 1500cc Genisis Motors. and If their not the biggest and strongest then I want what is (must be polaris based). And I dont really Understand the weight issue. The motors cant be that much heavier. Even if they were 30 LBs more Is that really noticeable. I dont ride with any snowcross professionals but some of the guys are pretty good. They dont do anything on their sleds that I cant do on my XCR. Besides a couple of those guys are over 210 lbs so they are 35 lbs heavier than me. I realize that in a proper snowcross race lighter would be better. But out on the trails is it really that big of a deal. I vote no.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts