Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew how to test the Coils and the CDI on a 96 Ultra 680 SP?? I have one plug that fires intermittently on the low end, causing a bog. It is not the plugs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Are you absolutely sure its not the plugs? like you have tried 2 totally new plugs? I'd do taht first, then check things like the wires too, if you check them with an ohmmeter they should have 30K-70K ohms of resistance. Then otherwise yes it could be the CDI, or even the wiring up to it.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Not to hyjack but say for instance on a 98 XCR 440..to test the coil/cdi. What should I get for resistance? Same reading?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
" there is no acceptable test procedure available for the CDI control unit. if you suspect the cdi unit is defective, check ignition timing If the ignition timing shows abnormal retard and advanced timing, replace unit with a new one and recheck timing" for the book of CLYMER

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Originally posted by pinkpower33
[br]" there is no acceptable test procedure available for the CDI control unit. if you suspect the cdi unit is defective, check ignition timing If the ignition timing shows abnormal retard and advanced timing, replace unit with a new one and recheck timing" for the book of CLYMER
So...can you tell if the CDI is off by the sled idling or do you have to put it up on a stand and rev it?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I have a 1996 Ultra cdi I know is good for 50.00 US If it does not cure your problem you can return it at your expense and I will refund your money. Just trying to help

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I am just as confused on there answer as you are. Dang, this book is only good for 90-95 sleds!!!!!!!!!! I looked for ways to tell timing, and there is nothing! This book is good, BUT could be better. Dodger sounds like a good deal. try a new thread listing Ultra coil problems.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
just trying to help a fellow Poo rider out....The quickest way to tell if its bad is to hook a good one up and try it. 50 bucks is cheap and I really don't care if I sell or not....Who knows someday I might buy another Ultra. I have been told that a Ultra cdi wakes up the reed valve 600s as well but never tried it...has anyone else?

·
Registered
985 Posts
first thing you might try is running a seperate ground wire to each of the Coils.
my very first ultra had an intermitten spark problem and running new grounds fixed it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys....I am leaning towards a coil problem. Maybe I will try running new grounds this weekend. I will let you know how it turns out. Keep the suggestions coming in the mean time!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts