Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a problem with my 600.... only time the #1 cylinder fires is when the rpms are up there at about 4500rpm... im guessing its my cdi box or something else like a carb cuz it kicks in when i choke it at like 3800 rpm and when its not firing i killed it and took the plug out and it was wet.... i pulled the carbs out cleaned the hell out of em put them back on with the same problem i even switch the carb with one of the other ones with the same thing... so as my airbox was pulled i took a look at my cdi box boy what a mess.... the spots where the wires go into were full of silicone and looked like crap...when i pull it off i snap a pic of it for yall to see... any suggestions on what else could be the problem would be appreciated

bobby

My wife said its me or my sleds... Im sure gonna miss her

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

i hope this works this is the cdi box i pulled off the sled.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok did a compression test #1 cyl. 137# #2 cyl 135# #3 136# are those decent compression lbs?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Now that i know you have a triple.....I guarentee that you dont have a bad cdi. There are only two wires that come from your cdi that go to the 3 coils at the bottom of your engine. What type of sled do you have. Most triples coils are wired in series, and all three plugs fire at the same time. Yea i know, this sounds dumb because its wasted spark on the other two cylinders, but the allows them to be built cheaper. When cdi's go bad you loose all spark. Sounds like a coil problem to me. Take all three coils and have them tested. Also, I would still try carb adjustments. But i really dont think that its your cdi.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Sounds like its either the coil or the plug wire or the plug wire boot. It could possibly be the plug also. You said you took it out and cleaned it but you should actually replace the plugs. Most of the time just cleaning the plug doesnt fix the problem. I have never been able to get a spark plug to regain 100% of its usefulness after it has been fouled.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no i took the carbs off and cleaned the hell out of them... i just put in brand new plugs seeing if that was the problem... i ordered a new coil since it was only 19 bucks should have it this coming week... thanks for all your help ill let ya know if the coil cures the problem

bobby

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i forgot to mention its an indy 600 1983

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i pulled the old coil and i guess that would be the problem considering when i pulled that protective rubber sleeve off the orange wire fell right off and there are two spots where i could see the copper wire on the black wire ordered my new coil from dennis kirk for 19 bucks and should have it by wednesday ill put it on and let ya know if it works or not
Ripper thanks for fixing my pic i dont know why my pics wont using my geocities account

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok got the new coil on and its all put back together and she was doing the same thing at first so i pulled the plugs noticed that they were wet and oily so i leaned the carbs out romped on it while it was on the stand and just kept on it for about 1 minute now she runs like a top thanks all for your help and lets hope it snows soon grrrrrrrrr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts