Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if Anyone has ceramic coated their stock exhaust pipes?

I'm thinking about getting my exhaust done because I stored my sled outside over the summer and it has gotten pretty rusty over the last year. I'd like to keep my sled looking good and non-rusty.

If you have done it:

1. Was it worth the money?

2. How well does it hold up?

3. Do you have any pictures?

4. What is the cover that goes around the stock exhaust? Is it just a heat shield? With the ceramic coating, should I put this back on?

I'm not looking for performance gains, just a nice clean look without spending big money on a new aftermarket exhaust. I also would like to keep the noise levels down... I'm one of those respectful snowmobilers [thumb]

·
Registered
393 Posts
If it was me I,d just blast it and paint it with some high temp paint.1500 degrees or higher.The stock pipes are usually a bit thicker than the thin aftermarket pipes and therefore hold up pretty well.Could paint it at the end of the season many times for what it costs to coat it.Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I just took mine of and shined it up and hit it with some 2000 degree header paint. So far it has held up pretty well. That is just a heat shield, with fiberglass padding or something. I took it all off to paint it, and while i had it off I found a couple rusted thorugh holes, so I welded them shut. I painted everything right down to the bolts and springs.

I'll post a couple pictures when I get home.

Nevermind, I found a couple.
201012918443593_31486.jpg
2010129184426671_31486.jpg
2010129184216687_31486.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
yes its worth it, yes it holds up well, a lot better than any 5$ can of paint.
it actually holds heat in the pipe better, on a big twin it is the first thing i would do. with a stock pipe you dont need to put the clams back on.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I too have had great luck with the $11.00 header paint sold at advanced auto etc. Holds up great. I usually recoat every year before it gets cold and looks great. My opinion is its not worth the money to send it out and have it coated. Rattle can will be just fine....unless you plan on having your hood up all season and want to see what a $200 paint job on a pipe looks like. Me....I will have the hood down and riding [;)]

·
Registered
244 Posts
spray paint is not the same as ceramic coating. The ceramic will help with underhood temps and keep heat in the pipe, the spray paint won't or not even close to the extent.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've done the rattle can paintjobs in the past, and they look better than rust but in my opinion, they still don't look that great. I'm just worried that after spending $200 on the ceramic coating, it won't last more than a season or two until it starts rusting out again.

Also, for those that have done it, do you put any kind of polish on it that helps prevent it from rusting?

·
Registered
38 Posts
i use mothers metal polish, on my headers and intake on the car, but its is just going to burn off when you fire it up. on the sled i dont use anything but good soap and water bath once and a while.
i am going on 2 years with the coating on the sled and it still looks like new.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Ceramic coatings aren't prone to rusting, unless you scratch it off.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2 years with good results, thats good to know.

I figured the polish would burn off since it's not meant to handle the high temperatures. Does the polish do anything to protect the pipe or just make it look good?

Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was talking to my buddy about this tonight, and he said a few years back he sent his pipes to a company by the name of jethot to have them coated. I guess they dip them in some sort of chemical to celan em etc before applying the coating. Anyway...his only lasted 1 season then the rust started coming through again. They did warrany it and do it over for him, but he sold the sled the next season so who knows if it lasted. Here in NY we gat alot of salt on the roads and snow banks so maybe this assisted in his poor results.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My two cents only! For looks, I don't know about ceramic coating but I've painted quite a few and realized the high temp paint only lasts one season. Performance wise, and I know you said you don't care about that, the reason the factories/people wrap their pipes is because the speed of sound travels better at higher temperatures. This equates to back pressure in your cylinders being greater with a hotter pipe. The factories don't wrap pipes to be quiet, they wrap them for performance. In fact, they don't allow you to wrap pipes at vintage races due to the advantage.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Matt331 said:
My two cents only! For looks, I don't know about ceramic coating but I've painted quite a few and realized the high temp paint only lasts one season. Performance wise, and I know you said you don't care about that, the reason the factories/people wrap their pipes is because the speed of sound travels better at higher temperatures. This equates to back pressure in your cylinders being greater with a hotter pipe. The factories don't wrap pipes to be quiet, they wrap them for performance. In fact, they don't allow you to wrap pipes at vintage races due to the advantage.
Are you suggesting to wrap the pipe even after ceramic coating?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, you said you weren't looking performance, so I'd say no. We're talking about a 2-4 HP-ish increase. I'd say make your sled look "pretty" but get your performance from your clutching and studs - not your pipe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts