Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Polaris Indy 500 Classic. I have changed all the bearings in the chain case. New seals, ect.. The chaincase is very hot and there are some metal shavings in the oil. You can't even put your hand on it. The chain is finger tight and nothing seems to be rubbing. I can't think of anything else that would be wrong with it. Any help would be great. I'm puzzled.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Take off your chain and play with it in your fingers, rotate it and if there are any sticks. If there is, its time for a new chain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could it also have anything to do with the reverse?

Dragon700 said:
Take off your chain and play with it in your fingers, rotate it and if there are any sticks. If there is, its time for a new chain.
The chain does look pretty bad. Getting a new one tomorrow. Hopefully it cures the problem. I'll let you know. Thanks for the help. Killer snow here in Wisconsin!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
breckenridge said:
Could it also have anything to do with the reverse?

Dragon700 said:
The chain does look pretty bad. Getting a new one tomorrow. Hopefully it cures the problem. I'll let you know. Thanks for the help. Killer snow here in Wisconsin!
Well put in a brand new chain today and the chain case is still getting hot. Any other ideas anyone has would be great. Just don't get it. Everything else is brand new. I am now really out of ideas.

·
Registered
258 Posts
How tight is your track tension? Im just guessing at this one...cause something has to be making it difficult for the chain to spin around causing friction/heat.

·
Registered
523 Posts
maybe your chain tensioner is too tight. i had this same issue on one of my sleds and it got so hot it even melted the plastic dip stick. loosened up the tensioner and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
You said you replaced the bearings.. Are they set correctly? (not crooked)

Did you spin them before installing to make sure they're good to begin with?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Chain tension...tighten adjuster finger tight, then back off 1/4 turn. Then make sure your brakes aren't slightly sticking.

Also, are you sure the heat isn't coming off of the exhaust silencer?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just asking but did you put chain case lube in?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Dude, I see you have the "chain finger tight". In my book-2000 shop manual it calls out for some slack in the chain. Should not be tight, more like 1/2"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for everyones input. I think I am getting it narrowed down now. The bearing are set correctly. It has chain case oil. The chain is not too tight. Going to replace the brake pads. Doesn't get as hot when the brakes are not on. Just gets warm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts