Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk About Poor Design! my friend has a Polaris xc500 2003 and my Classic 700 2002 is the SAME.

You can take of chain case bolts and loosen the case but it wont come out far enough to remove it! It hits the belly pan side where there is a strut under it. Since each have reverse you can't get the arms out of the slot either. The case also has guide posts and it barely comes out enough even to pass them. There is no way to do other than inspect by visual the chains. Can not adjust with case cover less than 1/2 inch off.

I also had to remove (saws all) part of my toe kick plate as you can not get to the bottom rear bolt. Unless you remove 16 rivets and the toe kick plate which means remove entire track to get to 4 of these rivets off. Then you would have do 16 new rivets when done each time you open chain case.

This GEN sled sucks as far as design. There is no way I'm taking to dealer to pay a ton of labor for them to loosen motor to allow chain case to come off. Rip off and manufacturing flaw here.

All I could do was look for shavings and put it back on and fill it up.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 go here and see the crap you have to go through to get this case on and off.Gen2 chaincase cover with reverse - HCS Snowmobile Forums

HOW PATHETIC is this setup? You have to take of trailing arm and force the belly plan away by bending it. Plus you may have to drill a whole in the pan just to get to the trailing arm nut! What a Polaris failure.....

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! I had same prob- gave up- just cleaned out gunked oil and put cover back on and filled it up. I have 2002 classic 700 and my friends 2003 xc500 is same. CRAP DESIGN POLARIS! I also had to cut a windows through my toe kick plate to get to bottom rear bolt on chain case.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
You do NOT have to take the trailing arm off. Yes, it is a pain to get out but it does come out with a little bit of ingenuity with a pry bar. Done it many times.
The drive shaft does have to come out first though.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Why would you have to remove the motor to take the chaincase off?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
It's pretty obvious you shouldn't be working on sleds and you have no clue what you're talking about. Maybe you should invest in a quality shop manual to help you.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the 'fix' is actually to take off the arms on the outside and wedge something in the belly pan and force it to move. purely a poor design. having to touch suspension then force something near a breaking point to work on it.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Are you removing just the cover or the whole case?? Why do you have to remove the whole case?? track change??

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted to remove whole case and inspect everything. on my model (documented even by dealer) you have to work hard to get to the bolts. I had to cut a hole in kick plate to get to last bolt as I did not want to remove 12 rivets to get plate off to get to screw. then case hits belly pan side wall. only fix is to remove arm on outside and use pry bar to move plastic pan away enough to get case off. again it is possible but the design sure sucks. my gear oil was clean with very little amount of metal pieces on magnet so I decided not to remove entire case using pry bar this time. But to work on it or tighten/loosen chain will be quite a hassle. older sleds and newer sleds by Polaris my friends have are similar. bad manufacture from bad design.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
At least once a week I would like to kick an engineer in the sack! They make it fit and then we have to handle it!
And I'm sure the engineer would kick you back twice as hard and point you to the Bean Counter's office. I speak from experience.

It's pretty clear the original poster has no clue what he's doing and isn't using the correct tools for the job.

·
Registered
171 Posts
And I'm sure the engineer would kick you back twice as hard and point you to the Bean Counter's office. I speak from experience.

It's pretty clear the original poster has no clue what he's doing and isn't using the correct tools for the job.
Point well taken, and i agree. Vented none the less! Good ole fashion therapy!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
WOW, i had a 01xc and i never had the cut foot well, remove rivets, smash bash or pry to remove chain case. and my motor wasn't anywhere near in the way, exhaust yes

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Some guys just dont have the right tools for the job. As the saying goes...right tool for the job...its not a lie. If anyone came near my sled sporting a sawzawll, I would Chuck Norris punch him in the thoat!:cool:

Reactions: xcr440

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Maybe the issue is mechanical reverse? If my chaincase was 2 to 2 1/2 times thicker it might be difficult to remove. Is a reverse chaincase 6 or 7 inches thick? I don't know. What I don't understand is how removing the motor would have any effect whatsoever on chaincase removal.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I read through this again, and my mind was blown. Why can't you just remove the chaincase cover to inspect your gears? There's no reason to take the chaincase off unless it's broken, or you're replacing the bearings.

I just got off the phone with my Mother, who couldn't log in to her email. She couldn't do it after 15 minutes of live phone- coaching, even though I logged into her account on my computer 10 different ways in about 45 seconds. She had no clue what she was trying to do, let alone how to do it. This thread illustrates a perfectly analogous situation.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Absolutely Rubi. The OP might not be that bad of a guy, but if you come on here guns a blazin not even knowing what you're talking about, then it's time for a rippin'! LOL...I can't spell words correctly, must be my pencil's fault right?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts