Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of some tec info. On my 2 sleds the 81 TXL Indi 340 and the 84-86 Indy 600 (see my post on what year this sled is ) there are no noticable plugs to check the chain case oil level. Does anyone have one of these sleds that knows what I should be looking for to check them? Also, what type of oil do you refill them with? They both look the same in this area except the 600 has liquid cooled brakes.
They also both have a little tube coming out of the side of the case and on the 600 it goes back in about 3 inches above where it comes out from and on the 340 just exiting ?

Boy, I need a service manual for these!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am having the same problem. I opened my chaincase up to day on my 85 600 and found there was nearly no lube in it. I could see no damage ( considering I road it all last winter like this that is amazing) I cant figure out what chain case lube you use. Will try to find more info.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't know about your specific sleds,but chaincases generally hold 8 to 12 ounces of lube. And the manufacturers don't want to tell you what type of lube they use. They want you to use their brand and its never identified on the bottle. If you look low on the case cover there should be some kind of plugged hole to put it in. If theres not a dipstick, fill to that hole. Just remember they don't take allot.Also since many of us are dumping our cases now{pre-season} don't forget to check for a drain under the sled on the back side of the case where the shaft comes out. Some sleds have it some don't. It sure is convenient on those that do!!!

You can Fly with EFI
Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
777 Posts
on the 85 theres 2 holes in the cover.1 fill and 1 oil level.they both have a screw in to a expanable rubber plug.take both screws out....its a pain but add oil to the top one till gear oil comes out the bottom hole.And its only 3 oz.s 89 cc.s you need in there...guys have used gear, oil trans oil,or any brand chaincase oil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts