Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 2000 XC700 Deluxe

OK I am stuck now,, I went to drain my chain case oil to do a flush and change.. The plug came off hard.. (put on by previous owner) and when I flushed the chain case, (I use ATF to flush) and when I went to put the plug back in [:(!] it just kept spinning.. OK I know, it is stripped.. I went and got a new plug, and tried a double O ring on it. it seemed to tighten (snug, but not tight) is there any other way to fix that plug hole without having to go buy the complete chain case, (INNER)?? like maybe do they make a self tapping over sized plug? (which would make life easier) [^]

·
Registered
608 Posts
You could get a larger plug and pipe tap it yourself. That would be an easy job. You could also do what the previous owner probably did, put locktite on the bolt and screw it in. The last thing you want to do is try using it the way it is. I also suppose a Heli-coil would work in there also but that would also require drilling and tapping.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea the re tapping sounds pretty simple. BUT I still have to tear the whole thing apart to do it. because the tap would probably hit the reverse gear on the bottom, I think, Have you ever done it zackattack? with it installed still inthe sled>? i don't plan on riding it the way it is. NO WAY! those chain cases arent cheap, I already had to get a cmplete chain case and eveything in it, for my 96 classic touring...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Unfortunately as you know in the back of your head the case will have to come off to repair it properly. Its not that hard to remove if you turn the sled on its side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts