Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my chain case apart on my 97 zl 440 because I was hearing a grinding noise when I would go from a complete stop and slam on the throttle. I noticed that after i pulled all of the gears out, the inside of the gear that goes in first and is separated from the drive shaft bearing housing by a spacer was rubbing against the bolts the tighted and hold the bearing housing. I added an extra spacer and it all went back together nice, is it ok to run it like this? or should i not have that extra spacer there.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i think you will be okay, as long as you add one on top so your chain keeps straight

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys i was thinking that myself...i will add one up there and hopefully be good to go.

Now when I put the drive shaft in, how do I go about it, should I get the chain case all set then close up the other side, what is the proper way?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i always put the clutch side in first and get it all tightened up, then finish up with the chaincase, never had any issues yet

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what i did and i figured it was ok. and with adding the extra spacer how do i make sure the chain is straight the way it should be

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
as long as the one you added is the same thickness on top and bottom you should be allright, forsure not any worse then you were

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the drive shaft seems like it is about a half inch off center towards the clutch side, is this right or does it need to be perfectly centered

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
as long as everything lines up right it should matter, just make sure the cog wheels are centered in the tunnel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts