Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[:(]well, i just finished putting in a new shock and got everything back together on my 1990 arctic cat prowler...first ride after i got it all running great, the chain loosened, the bolt holding the bottom sprocket broke off and the chain came off as well as the sprocket....so it cracked up teh case cover and broke a 1"x3" hole in it around the bottom oil check bolt, does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the remaining bolt out of the hex shaft(had threadlock put on it when i last had the bolt out) and where to get a new case cover from?
please help...i havent ridden in 2 weeks because of this....maybe a polaris is "the way out" of these problems[?]

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Polaris is a good way out..the old chain case could maybe be fixed but it try to find a used or new one..As for the bolt try tapping it with a punch or if you have an "easy-out" try that,it usually works..

·
Registered
777 Posts
since it locktited,drill it,and try a easy out,but you will need to head the end of the shaft to looseing up the locktite

·
Registered
128 Posts
in reality you will probably have to take the shaft out of the machine, put it in a vise drill it out enough for an easy out, heat it up enough to make the locktite give and then use the easyout real fast so the heat doesnt take the temper and hardness out of the easyout. the polaris seems to be the best mouse trap out there right now but i am not brand loyal.[:D]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Waterboy

This is assuming that the broken bolt is on your drive axle (sounds like it) ... if so, this may work (I just made this up when reading your post - hopefully someone who has had the same problem can jump in here .....)

Take off your drive shaft and find yourself a drill press (so you can drill straight). Clamp in your drive axle so that it is plumb (use a level to make sure). Drill out the bolt (drill straight ... drill very straight) with a bit that is the same diameter as the _grooves_. Your bolt should be about a grade 8 bolt, so make sure you have a good bit(s).

After drilling out the bolt, get a tap & die set and tap out the bolt hole (making sure you back it out often to clean out the tap and the grooves as the filings will build up. Also, use oil on the tap to save it from wear). Once the bolt hole is tapped out to the original size, you should be good to go.

Again, make sure that you drill straight so that your bolt sits flush on your chaincase cover. Oh yeah, I had a hole in my Jonsared chainsaw's gas tank, which a welder was able to patch up for me (never leaked again - ran so good that someone stole it!) for $30. The link below list your chaincasing at $81.95, so this may be a cheaper option ... that was for the whole assembly tho .... maybe someone can point you to a better deal.

http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Parts/SNOWMOBILE/1990/1990PROWLER(0650-103-1990)/

(you'll have to cut and paste this link)

Hope this helps!

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i think im gonna get the case welded...its not too bad, and for the bottom sprocket bolt..is there an easier way than taking it out?
i just had all teh suspension out ant that was a pain in my @$$. could it be cheaper to take it to a Cat dealer?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, depends on what you value more, your time or your wallet? If you know someone down at the dealers, maybe they will be willing to switch drive axles with you and fix yours later .... ?

Unfortunately, I think you may be in for another tear down of your track and drive system ... Sorry!

ps .... you're right, it is a pain, but every time I have done it - it seemed to get easier and easier. You can do it man, just roll up 'dem sleeves and get 'er done!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, in about an hour ill be heading to town to pick up an easy out, i was able to drill the bolt out, now i just need to get it out.
ill update before tonite on my progress...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, i hate my luck today...teh easyout bit broke off in the hole i drilled....maybe ill take it to a machine shop now...anyone have a suggestion now?

·
Registered
85 Posts
well, do you know anyone handy with a wirefeed welder?? you could weld a small flat washer onto the the threads, then weld a nut to the washer, then just back the threads out! i have done this on my trailing arm bolts (both sides, don't ask!) and it works real well...just be careful!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I had the same problem with a starter bolt on a 350 chevy once, broke off the ez out. Get a dremel tool and a handful of dremel grinding bits and carefully grind through the ez out, then drill the hole out and tap it to the original size. And if you had to go bigger put in a heli coil, but I don't know how a heli coil would work in a drive shaft.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont have a dremel, um my drill is only liek a 3500rpm, any hints. there is a local mechanic shop...i hope tehy can do sumthin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts