Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a ski-doo citation ls that had all the chaincase oil leak out at the end of last season because the lower seal let go i have replaced the seals and bearings in the case and the chain tensioner as to it was melted whent the oil leaked out and now my chain appears to be stretched would this be from the heat, or is ti just normal wear and tear after 18 years??(Its a single width 1/2 inch chain)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
It would be from lack of lube. I would replace it before it brakes and takes out the chaincase. Riley

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by Riley
[br]It would be from lack of lube. I would replace it before it brakes and takes out the chaincase. Riley
definately cheap insurance, i wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Streatched is pretty general...do you have the chain tensioner tightened all the way down?

If you do the chain, do both gears as well.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Do what he said^. Whenever replacing a chain on anything its best to replace both gears (sprokets) at the same time, otherwise they wont mesh properly and will wear very quickly.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright thanks for the info so far as for the tensioner it is a platic one on a spring(only one in the chaincasemost ski-doos have 2 tensioners anyway the tensioner is free to move but can't take up enough slack in the chain, which is why i beleive it stretched but the gears seems to be in great shape the chain has wear from slapping the inside of the case, it has worn the paint off the outside of the chainlinks anyway i'm not able to buy gears unless there used is there anypoint too, i'm even having trouble to find chain but beleive i have found some anyother thoughts, Thanks again guys

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by sledhead907
[br]Streatched is pretty general...do you have the chain tensioner tightened all the way down?

If you do the chain, do both gears as well.
Myth![:I]

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
^^ NO.. its not a myth. For example- If you have a chain with 100,000 miles on it, and a sprocket with 100,000 miles on it, they are both slightly worn. If you put a new chain on there, there will be a little play in the system from the slightly worn sprocket that would create more chain wear.
This isn't heresay.. I work where they are made [:p] and just talked to my boss thats been doing this for like 20-30 years.

Originally posted by Brendan
[br]it has worn the paint off the outside of the chainlinks
How and Why is there paint on the outside of your chainlinks? [;)]

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright so not sure its paint for say guys but some coating on the chain or the aluminum from my chaincase is stuck to the chain...its not comming off anyway i have some pictures it doesn't do justice really because of the glare off the chain from the cameras flash anyway heres some pictures(the coating/paint is worn off the chain on the ends of each seperate links, Any other thoughts or suggestions, Thanks for the help so far guys and stick with me.
Sorry about the pic quality, my good camera has gone missing.

[attachment=51695]
[attachment=51696]
My chaincase with scratches in it from the chain.
[attachment=51699]
Were theres alot of gloss on the chain is wehere the pain it wearing off, wasn't like this prior to this year when the chain started to rub on the case.
[attachment=51697]
Brand new tensioner just put on maybe 10 kms on it, already cutting into it, The original one was on it tell last year and it never showed any sign of wear and tear.
[attachment=51698]

Thanks again guys!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts