Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting the XLT ready for this weekend of some deep powder and came across quite the dilemna. I pulled the chaincase dipstick to find a cotter pin on the end of it. This obviously came off of the jackshaft nut, which is a locking nut, correct?

Is it too risky to run the whole weekend without putting a cotter pin back on? I'm 95% sure I will tear it apart once I get up to NY tomorrow, but it's a pain in the but that I'd rather not deal with.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
yeah, the nut itself doesn't lock. that's why the cotter pin is there, to keep it from backing off. don't risk it.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I agree with SD...it's not worth the risk. I just had a chaincase disaster myself...the bottom gear bolt sheared off and fell down, got grabbed by the chain and blew the back of the chaincase out. I rode it like 30 miles...I thought I heard something. Stuff happens and she's all fixed up again.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You are talking about ten minutes worth of work and ten dollars worth of parts, just do it and get it over with. If not give me a call next week and I'll sell you a complete case, cover, gears and chain for a couple hundred (sorry no cotter pin). [:D]

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
One way I've done chaincase work w/o draining the oil is to tip the sled on the left side, 'lift' the hood and remove the case cover, no spill.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Tipping the sled over and removing the cover is the easiest since the cotter pin is on the top gear.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well. I don't have to worry about it now. My Jeep decided to ruin the weekend 100 miles from school. So I have all the time in the world to fix the chaincase problem [:(!][V][:(!]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts