Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there are certain specs. I should be looking for in chaincase oil, is this something I can pickup at the local automotive parts store? I'm running early '90 Indy Trails. Thanks

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Any 80w-90 gear oil will be fine.Some guys swear by synthetics but I change my chain case oil every season so it isn't an issue. It's up to you really.

·
Registered
251 Posts
There are many oil manufacturers out there that make chain case lube. Amsoil is my aftermarket oil of choice, but I run Polaris synthetic gear case lube. A good castor based oil will do just as well as a synthetic. Just make sure you change it or at least check it at the recommended intervals in your manual. I check the level periodically throughout the year, and change oil when needed or when specified in the manual.

Hope this helps. Have any questions, let me know.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I was going to use 80w-90 but my neighbor said NO!!! He says it gets too thick. Use tranny fluid or chaincase fluid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I was in town I picked up some Mystik 80w-90, this should be fine correct? I haven't recieved my manual yet so I'm guessing that the black rubber plug is pretty close to the "full" level? Thanks for the input guys...this forum is great.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I regards to your last post. The Black oil plug is only used for filling. There should only be oil in the bottom of the case. I THINK it's around 8 oz of oil. The chaincase is not designed to hold that much oil and will blow your bearing seals I believe if filled that full. The case is only filled about the bottom 2 inches. Up to the plug would be about 4 times too much oil.
Do a search on chaincase capacity to make sure.
D

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Originally posted by NewMC
[br]While I was in town I picked up some Mystik 80w-90, this should be fine correct? I haven't recieved my manual yet so I'm guessing that the black rubber plug is pretty close to the "full" level? Thanks for the input guys...this forum is great.
I wouldn't use 80w-90. It gets too thick when cold. But you can use what you want.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Am I the only idiot that actually goes to the Polaris dealer and buys this neat stuff they have called CHAINCASE LUBRICANT?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
That's what i used. Except I didn't go to the dealer, my neighbor gave me part of a bottle he had.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Originally posted by JD
[br]Am I the only idiot that actually goes to the Polaris dealer and buys this neat stuff they have called CHAINCASE LUBRICANT?
haha.. nope your not.. I went they didn't have any so I bought the amsoil chaincase lube.

The search feature works great on this site BTW
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by bigrok
[br]That's what i used. Except I didn't go to the dealer, my neighbor gave me part of a bottle he had.
Hey, that is even better. Kind of like beer. Would you rather go to the store and buy your own, or just drink you neighbor's?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Am I the only idiot that actually goes to the Polaris dealer and buys this neat stuff they have called CHAINCASE LUBRICANT?
I would love to support the dealer but.....(this is what happened a couple weeks ago)

Dealer ....8 oz can of synthetic.....$16
Amsoil.....8 oz syn.....$4.95

I was changing out 3 sleds. Thats $48 or $15. And you wonder why people don't go to the dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts