Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im one to think things over a bit before i tackle a job, "sometimes i think too much", but some good came from this and i just wanted to pass it along to all of you, my arctic cat has no drain hole for the chaincase, so someone here suggested rolling the sled on its side, that sounded messy, dangerous, i can just see my windsheild cracking, so i came up with a better way to do this, i figured if i could get a piece of 1/4" flex tubing and hook it to a big syringe, then just suck it out, a bit at a time then measure how much i got out , i got 7 3/4 oz. and it only takes 8oz. so this worked great and wasent messy at all, so try it ,next time your ready to change your chaincase oil, and youll be thanking me !, cause it works great!!!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
The problem with this method is you do not remove little pieces of metal that gather in the bottom of the chaincase from normal wear. Polaris sleds have magnets on the end of the dipsticks to gather these, and I don't know if cats do too, but I had my chaincase cover off and even with the magnet there was still stuff in the bottom of the case. So sucking it out will not clear that junk out of the oil, which is the main purpose of the oil change, isn't it?

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I Love B&M Coasters.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I'll have to agree with polaris-man on this one. The main purpose for changing the oil is to clean out the debris. Chain case oil really doesn't wear out. If it werent for the metal shavings i would suspect that the oil would last 20,000 miles or better. Heck my dad has the original oil in his 1980 John Deere Sportfire....never been changed, he doesnt think twice about changing it, just makes sure the oil level is where its supposed to be and re-installs the plug.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would kinda relate this to almost a manual tranny type oil change as i pumped it out the oil has a definate metalic look to it, but no big metal particales so i felt pretty good about this service, if i had found some big metal parts then case dissasembly would been in order, but it is a dumb setup not having a drain plug down low but then again they have to make things idiot proof to keep people from stripping it out and leaking out all the oil and fryin the chain and gears ! so i guess i see arctic cats point.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
actually, vetboy, your method is a good idea for gettin the oil out, it would reduce the amount puddling and colecting crap in the bottom of your belly pan, but also Polaris-man, and triumph are right, you should still pull the cover off and insect for metalics in the bottom of the case, but your idea is great for minimizing the mess associated with this task.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
On my 91 500 theres no plug or easy oil level check. I took case off and on the bottom, offset from the gear I drilled a hole, tapped it and in went a drain plug. Then made a smaller hole in the front, tapped it and put a plug with a clear tube attatched to it. Now I can check the oil quickly w/o tools and change it without taking the cover off and making a mess. Anyone with the older chaincases knows how much a pain in the ass they are. Works Great now!!

"Faster than a speeding ticket....and then some"

·
Registered
529 Posts
I also agree with Polaris-man and Triumph, but if there is no noticable chunks of metal on the magnetic dipstick than it should be fine.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well heres just another thought to add to jbjbjb4, the large chunks of metal will not circulate with the oil, they will just sink to the bottom of the chain case and will not be able to be picked up by the magnet

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
46 Posts
On top of the little chunks of metal that you can see and remove by taking off the chaincase cover, it is always good to check the chain tension (much easier with the cover off than with it on), and inspect the chain. High PITA (pain in the a$$) factor, but in my mind it is worth it to make sure you get rid of all the chunks and have a chain properly tensioned.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I periodically put a telescoping magnet into the chaincase to get any metal the dipstick misses. You can find them at a auto parts store, they look like a telescoping radio antenna and is normally used to pick up tool or metal parts that you dropped but can't reach.

He who loves not his country can love nothing

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm all for taking the cover off 'cause you need to be inspecting the chain and tensioner often. I had a tensioner fail and the chain came through the top of the case like a chain saw. It ruined every part in the case, and I had to walk 2 miles. It sucked, then it sucked some more,then when I paid for the parts it really sucked!!!

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
shanet , i was just gonna say that! cause i been thinking about that, i got a real nice flexible magnet that will work great! thats what i like about this web site the people here are smart and always thinking!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts