Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes 97 Ski-Doo LE has a milky color to her chaincase oil...my 98 SLE looks like oil (dark brown in color).

I'm sure if it was like at the beginning of the season..(we been riding here for about 2 weeks) but I just noticed this today.

Does this mean she has water in there?

Any recommandations?

Draining the oil seems like a BIG job...how do you remove the screws at the bottom of the chaincase?

Thanks in advance

Rob.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
There is water in the oil, change it, your sled might be like my dad's, the plug might be under the sled, where the chain case is, or it will be at the bottom of the chaincase.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
just find something to suck the oil out with, thas what i did w/ mine when i had to take it apart and there wasnt hardly any oil left in it. if the oil is dark brown in the otehr sled, i would change that too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You have water in there. I like the pumping the oil out idea. Another way that I have used is to put a piece of tin foil under the chaincase bend up the edges and put some adsorb in it. Then just start taking the cover bolts out starting at the bottom and working your way up until you can crack the bottom of the cover and let the oil drain.

I would check your seal and bearings if you got water in there. It had to get in somehow.

·
Registered
837 Posts
with the water in the oil i say you need to pull the cover off and clean all the oil out, if you suck out the oil you may piss a lot of it then you new oild will probably end up the same way, and it only 4 bolts to remove

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i got this lil thing used to suck stuff out like that, i dont know where i got it from, it was just in my shop. when wast he lastt iem u changed the chain case oil in the 98SLE?? if it looks like this:

it would probably be a good idea to change it

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey Rob, Sucking the oil out is fast way to change it, but I would take the cover off to change the oil. Do this for many reasons,(1) you want to get the chain case completely clean of all the milk shake you've got. (2) you will almost always get some metal filling in there, a little is normal, but you want to get rid of them. (3) You want to check the gears and the chain for any wear. Your chain should not have to much play between the links. (4) I like setting the chain tension with the cover off, not to tight, not to loose. Now that all that is done, put in a good quality gear oil, and re check it after every ride to make sure you are not getting water in there again. If you do you probably have a bad seal on the drive shaft (behind the bottom gear) that should be changed.
Dave.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would take the cover right off to check everything out. You will probably have to remove your exhaust pipe to get to it. There'll be some high-tension springs to remove to get this off, if you can rig up a tool with a handle to pull on and a hook to put in the spring you'll get it done much faster.

The reason I'd pull the cover and not just try to siphon the oil is because you want to find out how the water got in there in the first place or you'll just be doing this again. Bad seal? Bad o-ring? Cracked cover?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm certain there is a plug in the bottom. you may need to lay on your back to find it but all sleds have one now. It's a much cleaner way of draining. You may want to change that sealed bearing, water must be getting in there somewhere.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Originally posted by zackattack
[br]I'm certain there is a plug in the bottom. you may need to lay on your back to find it but all sleds have one now.
My '99 doesn't have one, and his is a '97.

·
Registered
246 Posts
What I think that ACG ment was to suck out the oil and then remove the chaincase cover to do the final cleaning and inspection.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys,

Thanks for all the tips!

In a worst case senario if I do not take the cover off and just drain the oil with a small hose out from the top....can I add in Synthetic oil?

Can I do this until I can do it properly? What's the worst case scenario here?

Thanks again! [8D]

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 1997 Polaris has a plug, you only have to take off the cover to inspect or replace the adjuster. Seems like '96/'97 was when mfrs switched over to the drain plug system. Mine has a 6mm hex head countersunk bolt that you really have to look for. Perhaps tilt your sled to the side (shut off the fuel switch first though) with the chaincase side up & have a GOOD look. There probably is one there. PS buy a spare plug since if it hasn't been removed you are going to strip it. You probably will need a bolt extractor too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
...as for the worst case scenario, you still haven't found the source of the water infiltration (like what Jacqui said). Water + unprotected metal = disaster, no matter how you do the math!!!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
This sled did not come from the factory with a drain plug. Skidoo didn't start that until some of the 2000 models. Check the microfishe for this sled at http://216.37.204.202/skidoo_oem/Skidoo.asp?Type=13&A=252&B=20

Here is a 2000 model that clearly shows the drainplug
http://216.37.204.202/skidoo_oem/Skidoo.asp?Type=13&A=361&B=34

Originally posted by 1997 XLT SP
[br]My 1997 Polaris has a plug, you only have to take off the cover to inspect or replace the adjuster. Seems like '96/'97 was when mfrs switched over to the drain plug system. Mine has a 6mm hex head countersunk bolt that you really have to look for. Perhaps tilt your sled to the side (shut off the fuel switch first though) with the chaincase side up & have a GOOD look. There probably is one there. PS buy a spare plug since if it hasn't been removed you are going to strip it. You probably will need a bolt extractor too.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
sweet site u posted there jacui, lots of us have been lookin for a site w/ the diagrams that actually sells OEM parts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again guys....

I called the dealer where we purchased this sled (Used) and told him about the chaincase oil - his reply was "Well there is no way to get water in there...they are a sealed unit"

Anyway....I will be draining the oil sometime this week and will keep you posted. A friend here at work said he has had the same thing....it was caused be condensation (warm /cold) - when he changed the oil it was fine.

I purchased Synthetic chaincase oil and will use that since it's specs show much better resistance to moisture.

Cheers

·
Registered
412 Posts
Originally posted by arctic-cat-guy
[br]sweet site u posted there jacui, lots of us have been lookin for a site w/ the diagrams that actually sells OEM parts
Yeah, and I first learned about that site HERE! TUSF rules![8D]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts