Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
chaincase oil, i just bought some from amsiol, but im not sure of a weaight of gear oil, non of the companies really say, but there is a special oil, its called chaincase oil

·
Registered
15 Posts
The manufacturers have their own chaincase oil.

I have a related question regaurding the chaincase, that some of you may be able to help with.

I have a Polaris 2000 - 700 DLX w/ 5000 miles on it. I have added oil to the chaincase, but have never changed it.

Is there a plug that I can unscrew and just drain it from the bottom of the sled. Then add new chaincase oil to it, or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks
Fred

·
Registered
948 Posts
fburke, that should be in your owners manual I would think. I don't know about the 2000's personally but its pretty easy to check by looking under the sled. if your belly pan has a hole in it with an allen type plug right under where the chaincase is.. you've got one.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
425 Posts
Some people on this site recommend Klotz Chaincase oil. I just used the Polaris Synthetic. I did look into Klotz and it seemed to be good stuff. It was easier to buy the Polaris oil since I was at the dealer anyway.

* Polaris * ......... The Way Out!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Absolutely!

I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
412 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Bman:
fburke, that should be in your owners manual I would think.
[/quote]

In my Skidoo owner's manual (I don't have it in front of me so I can't quote word for word) it says to take it to your dealer to have it serviced. It gives no specifics of how to do it.

There are some very recent threads of how to do this. Here's one to try:
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3283

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by jacqui583:

In my Skidoo owner's manual it says to take it to your dealer to have it serviced. It gives no specifics of how to do it.

[/quote]

That's probably because they want you to bring it to them so they can charge you an hours shop rate.
From my experiences, on two different makes of sleds, its a piece of cake........maybe a messy cake, but a piece of cake non the less.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
506 Posts
agreed tfin, it really can be messy, smelly to, is it just me, or does chaincase oil smell like, rotten fish or something like that, really bad anyways

also, as a cheaper solution, you can just go out to canadian tire and buy some 80/90 gear oil. dunno if it'll save ya any money or not, but it's the same stuff. I generally run quaker state synthetic gear oil. less drag than the other stuff, same protection.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Just changed the chaincase oil in my Yamaha last weekend. There was no drainplug so I had to take the cover off. I used Amsoil in my sled. Be sure to check your chain tension too.

1987 Yamaha Exciter L/C

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
any low temp gear lube is fine...I use Amsoil, talk about rounchy smelling

Win if you can...
Loose if you must...
But NEVER stop trying!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
in your 2000 polaris, there's just an allen head plug under the belly pan. drain it, clean everything up, check the tension, and fill'er up again. just changed mine last weekend with a new track, it isn't too tough.

'99 XC SP 500
Fox shocks stickers- 15 hp
handlebar hooks/riser- 10 hp
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp
running board/edge grips- 20 hp

·
Registered
117 Posts
After changing the chaincase oil on my MXZ and spreading enough oil on my partners garage floor to equal the Exxon Valdez spill, (well it looked like it.)
I bought a suction gun that looks like a grease gun with a clear plastic hose on the end.
I had to adapt a smaller hose onto the supplied hose so that it would fit into the dipstick tube but it worked really well. My son and I changed his oil last night and we almost emptied the entire chaincase before we pulled the cover off. We ended up with hardly any oil on the floor.
I was really impressed with how well this unit worked.
I bought it at Canadian Tire but I'm sure auto parts stores would carry it.
And best of all, it doesn't ruin the taste of the turkey. LOL
Good Luck
Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER
or
DRIVE LIKE LIGHTNING,
CRASH LIKE THUNDER!!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
If it were me, I'd go with something that specificly said "Chain Case Oil" on it. I run Klotz in mine, its cheap.....like only $5-$6 US. Small price for no questions and piece of mine. IMO.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
226 Posts
[purple]Depending on your miles, you may want to adust the chain as well. Have a look over in the "Shop" forum about this subject.
Have fun![/purple][/font=Comic Sans MS]

Kimba466
Always finish what you start. . . Pizza, bag of chips, beer, whatever!

·
Registered
506 Posts
chain should be finger tight as a rule of thumb, just make sure you really tighten that locknut.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts