·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do u know how tight to tighten the chaincae, how lose should it be

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
There should a 1/4" of play on the longest side of the chain.

·
Registered
572 Posts
make sure you rotate the track and check tension all the way around the turn of the sprockets, cause have seen most sleds that they will have tight spots in the chain, have gotten them set then rotated and found places where there is no play at all and others where there was more. have to find a happy medium. especially on older sleds.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can u just tel buy that tensioner bolt becasue i dont feel like takin off my exaust and chaincase pan like is there a certain lenght out that tensioner bolt should be out. what i did was changed the track and didnt touch a thing on the chain tension, so im just wondering if it should still be the right tension

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
cotter pin??? Make sure the bolt turns freely thru out the thread, tighten by hand, 2 fingers, and back out slightly. this will keep pressure on it, but truely the only way to do it, is take the cover off. the worst part, is that you had it all off, and forgot that step when putting it back together. My guess is nothing changed, and you are probably going to be alright. easy way i check is by how much play you have from the secondary clutch movement to the track movement. sloppy chain very bad for aluminum case.

·
Registered
214 Posts
on the race sleds i tighten them with 2 fingers and tighten the set nut (after i slightly rock the secondary and keep 2 finger tightening it)... after i do this ill go run heat race and check it and it always loosins up the same amount... it loosins up to where it wants to run reguardless i believe no matter how tight you do it... havent blowin a chain case yet even back before slipper gears

hope this makes sense what im tryin to say

·
Registered
256 Posts
Your sled specs is to hand tighten then back off a 1/4 turn,but I back off 1/8 on mine,you do need to make shur the slack is on that side like was mentioned.It needs to be checked about every 1,000 miles

·
Registered
43 Posts
You don't need to take any thing off your machine to adjust your Drive Chain, as stated above loosen the lock bolt a turn or two, then finger tighten the bolt until you can't turn it anymore, back if off 1/8 - 1/4 turn, tighten the lock bolt up and bob's your uncle. Thats it. If you use a wrench you'll stretch the chain and run a good chance of brakin something, not good..cheers.. and good sleddin. We're still waitin for snow up here in Canada, Ont

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
sorry to take this over but my secondary has alot of play in it, when i try to iliminate it with chain tension its way to tight. any ideas on that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts