Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were only going to change one item for more performace on a stock motor, would it be lower the gearing or going to a more aggressive helix? I recently installed reverse on my stock 93 XLT it came with a lower bottom gear (40 instead of the stock 39) To make the chain a little looser I had to change the top gear from the stock 21 to a 20. I know have 20/40 instead of the 21/39 it came with. I also have a SLP 42/34 helix instead of the stock straight 34. I really can't change the gearing but could go back to the stock helix and spring. What is everyone thought.--Thanks--Mike

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I would try it the way it is.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Changing the helix alone may not get what you are looking for, you really should change springs and weights with it/or for that setup. What are you looking to gain???More grunt, snappier, better back shift out of the corners or are you looking at just top speed? Changing gearing in my eyes would be easier and more noticable than just the helix alone. My buddy and I put a ZRT helix on a EXT 580 efi because someone said "it would be really fast", so the out come was it would shoot out of the hole like a bad out of hell, only toped out at 55mph and got 5mpg. So not really what he was looking for. Just remember in the gearing and clutching department, to gain something you have to give up something.

PS-Never hurts to try and see, different combos might just make it do exactly what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Lower gearing helps the bottom end and midrange pull. The steeper helix allows your clutches to shift out quicker thus more acceleration. Just make sure you have the proper secondary spring. And watch your rpms as to not overrev, might need heavier weights as you are geared lower.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
clutch kit.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
madcow said:
clutch kit.
[/quo

Madcow,this is what I have in the sled.
Clutch: stock weights
blue spring
Secondary: SLP 42/34
SLP black spring
also I'm using a wide belt.
Gearing: 20/40

What is best rpm for that motor? What other changes would you make?

Thanks--Mike

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
madcow will probably confirm or correct me but I think your target RPM should be right around 8000 for a 93 XLT, take the stock helix and spring and toss it in the trash or put it on a shelf for a conversation piece, the SLP helix and spring you have is right on for your application, I am finishing up a customers sled that I just put a clutch kit in with the same helix and spring in the secondary of a 95 XLT SP, I don't think the gearing change is gonna cause any problems either, only way to find out is to get it out and test it, if you have the space to run it out on the grass that works, start out with the spring in hole #2 and if it needs a bit more RPM bumping up to the #3 hole should do the trick, testing is the only way to find out, oh and a accurate tach helps also.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I thought the peak rpm was 8200+/- with a hot pipe. We usually went to a 20/39 ratio so unless you're concerned with max. top speed, 20/40 will make it even more responsive which is great for trails, twisties, etc. This is a combo that we used in our XLT/XCR sleds.

HSP white primary 140/285 we ran a 130/300 in a few as well
10M-5 weights some ran better with 10M-B
HSP 34 heilx or Polaris R8 w/ 2 - .030 shims, Aaen 42/34 prog., SLP 42/34 or Polaris T1 also work well
HSP white secondary spring #2 or #3
20/39 gears

Also, with your chain, unless it is extremely tight, reducing/eliminating the dog leg at the chain tensioner will make the drivetrain more efficient. We have found certain combos where we didn't need a tensioner. Example: 22/42 on a 98 XC 600

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
8000 is where you want to run the rpms!
a black spring is to soft and a 42-34 is to small, go big or go home! i put a 5?/3? helix with some polaris secondary spring.

you are geared low enough, if you need more bang than just the simple secondary setup the next thing to do is to change out the primary spring, get the engagement rpms up. launching at 5k rpms is going to be a lot more bang then leaving at 4k rpm.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
madcow said:
a black spring is to soft and a 42-34 is to small, go big or go home! i put a 5?/3? helix with some polaris secondary spring.

"Stones" I say say MC!! "5?/3?", WTF, you waiting for me to chime in here? Yah 50/34 will get him going all right!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
madcow said:

you are geared low enough, if you need more bang than just the simple secondary setup the next thing to do is to change out the primary spring, get the engagement rpms up. launching at 5k rpms is going to be a lot more bang then leaving at 4k rpm.
You are saying that the 42/34 helix on a stock 580 is not aggressive enough? Won't a more aggressive helix hurt my trailability? What primary spring would you suggest?--Mike

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The 50/34 helix most use for these are the Polaris R8 or the HSP 34 which transition from 50 to 34 in the first 1/3 of the helix. Good acceleration with a good backshift.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
a 50-34 with a silver blue secondary spring, will give you amazing hole shot and backshift.

a 42-34 is what i would put into a twin with a ton of weight in the clutch, but a triple likes to have a huge helix and somewhat stiff secondary spring to hold the shift back.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
madcow said:
a 50-34 with a silver blue secondary spring, will give you amazing hole shot and backshift.

a 42-34 is what i would put into a twin with a ton of weight in the clutch, but a triple likes to have a huge helix and somewhat stiff secondary spring to hold the shift back.
Madcow, when you say triple likes a huge helix are you sure you mean a stock 580 XLT?--Thanks

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
like i tell my coworkers, dont ever question me.

yes like the single pipe triples.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
madcow said:
[highlight=yellow]like i tell my coworkers, dont ever question me[/highlight=yellow].

I had to freakn laugh and post a comment. Spoken like a TRUE forman.[thumb]

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
madcow said:
like i tell my coworkers, dont ever question me.

Okay, What would you sell me a 50/34 helix and silver/blue secondary spring for? What should I use in the primary for a spring? Give me a price on all please. Is my 20/40 gear set-up okay with that combination. Please let me know as soon as you can.--Thanks--Mike

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
ultrawillie said:
madcow said:
[highlight=yellow]like i tell my coworkers, dont ever question me[/highlight=yellow].

I had to freakn laugh and post a comment. Spoken like a TRUE forman.[thumb]
Im usually the new guy or young guy though!!

I dont know the pricing, you can try hotseat performance to see what there pricing was, up until the last couple years i would put a kit together for about 160 for a helix and two springs, i used to use dalton helix's but they jacked there prices up way to high, so for the last couple years i have been telling people just to go to hotseat, slp or epi to see what they can get for a helix and springs. some of the companys will charge 200 dollars for a kit and you can buy the parts for 150.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Madcow,
I'm assuming that you are talking about an R8 or an HSP 34 when you say a 50/34.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
dont have to be polaris or hotseat, i like the hotseat helixs, dont know part numbers off the top of my head.
a dual angle or even progressive helix will work fine. it really dont matter,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts