Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My preferences to sleds has just changed. I ride a 2002 800 RMK.
I used to think I would be satisfied with a Doo as a second choice if I could not have a Poo. Wrong. Not sure what I would do as now my second choice would not be a second choice. I had the opportunity to ride a 2005 800 Renegade today while riding with friends. There was 2 of them actually and this is why I would not have one, period.

1-In snow with a crust as one ski breaks through the sled starts to roll to one side then the other and this is hard to stop. (Oscillating effect side to side). This I could not live with.
The other 800 renegade the owner says his does the same.

2-Engine response is not what I expected as compared to my basically stock 800 RMK which is much more snappy and responsive.

3-Ride quality was not as good as the RMK. I could walk by (full throttle) everyone in fields that were rough due to drifting and these guys are not afraid to put the hammer down if they can handle it.

4-Carving...well the renegade was a hog to handle. RMK...a dream.

5- The high centered rider concept feels tippy...and is. No thanks.

6- The big one for me. Riding so far forward toward the skis had the feel of riding a tricycle. Yuk. The RMK with edge chassis (skis pushed forward) felt solid and right. Can't explain it but the edge chassis in my mind is fantastic in comparison.

7- Fuel economy of the newer fuel injected Doos was not much better than my RMK. In fact I think they were about the same. Go figure. They all gobbled gas.

8- One more...engine vibration at idle at my feet (tunnel) was suprisingly high. My 800 edge...what vibration? Smooth as silk throughout the total RPM range.

Can someone tell me why the rev chassis is so popular?

This is not a bash, just my unbiased observations as I had great respect for these machines until my latest experiences. It was too much for me to consider this machine (800 renegade any way) as one I would love to own. Each to their own, thank goodness. I'll stick with my 800 Edge RMK.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Hype. The magazines all proclaimed the REV to be "all that" in '03, plus it was winning on the snocross tracks, so everyone thought it must be better.
They convinced everyone that they had to have a-arm front suspension and people looked at Polaris with their trailing arms and instantly thought they were inferior. The fact is, Polaris perfected trailing arms and I have never seen much of an improvement to be made from a-arms. I personally think the trailing arms are a stronger design because you have more points where the front suspension attaches to the sled and the load is spread out over a wider area on the bulkhead.
Ive ridden a few REVs and I was unimpressed. Dont get me wrong, Doo makes nice sleds but IMO they arent the end-all, be-all that some people brag them up to be.
Im not going to bash or be a jerk to anyone who rides Doo, they just arent a sled that I would want. I dunno what it is, but I just have a hard time getting comfortale with the way a Doo handles. With a Polaris, they do lift the inside ski a little in the corners, but its very predicable and managable. With the Doo it would be fine and then suddenly lift the inside ski, which made you kind of tenative as to how hard you could dive into the corners.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i had a rengadade and it was uncomfortable and to hard to handle

·
Registered
577 Posts
Originally posted by 500EFISKS
You can pretty much walk out of a ski-doo dealer with a new sled without paying a penny...they give them away. e.g no payments, no down payments, no payments for over a year...

they make it really easy for the younger (no money) crowd to get new rides.

That is also why you can get a 2 yearold ski-doo dirt cheap....the owners want to get rid of them before they have to make payments with crazy interest rates.

You can also get 2 year old Cats dirt cheap becuase no one buys them and there are tons still sitting in the showroom still[;)]

·
Registered
135 Posts
Engine response - really? Ours have always been super snappy. Maybe they don't take good care of their sleds? I've never personally actually drove a REV, so I don't really have an opinon on them. Just from sitting on them in showrooms, though, it seemed like the position would be something I'd like. The fact of the matter is that ALL of the manufacturers are moving towards/AT a rider forward state and it's going to stay that way. Of course, you can always stay with pre-2003 sleds and work on and build them. Ain't nothin' wrong with that.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
What kind of riding do you do? I'd take a REV over any EDGE or Pro-X any day of the week.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I think I would have to disagree with about everything you said. except for the fuel economy and the ride quality. polaris is still king on the trail getting to the powder.

the 800 rev has one of the most snappiest throttle response in the bis. thats one thing I would like on my 900. hit small bumps on the rev 800 and the thing will just fly through the air.

I think the rev stays on top of the snow as good as any other rider forward chassis. People who do not know how to ride the rider forward seem to get to forward and is harder to control then. you need to take the time to learn how to ride the sled. its nothing like your edge.

i think the carving is much better than the edge chassis but I would still prefer my IQ in that area.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
the rider forward works great for aggressive riding but sucks for trail riding...its all in what your going to do.I rode my friends doo for an hour on the trail and it was the worst experience of my life.....but it was great for ditch banging.after two or three hours of riding I never felt so fatigued..the rider forward just is not for me.I am so sick of the debate on which is better...ride what you want and leave everyone Else's choice up to them.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I personally feel that the rev, is very aggressive when it comes to trail riding. Ski doo has different set-ups for different styles of riding, I have the 500ss trail! The sled runs great on trails and other semi smooth surfaces. get into moguls and I feel that the better shocks and springs like that of the renegade or adrenaline would fit nicely. I have to agree with WY_rider and say to jump on a rev and ride for a hour or half day is not nearly enough time to come up with an opinion. Last year I was riding harder than I have in years past, and felt extremely comfortable doing so! I would almost bet that if you took the time to make some adjustments on those sled's so that they were set up for you, and had the opportunity to ride them for 400+ miles you wouldn't mind the rider forward position. On the other hand your opinion might not change and that is fine, some people don't care for the way they handle. There's nothing that you or anyone else can do about it at that point. All I'm saying is until you have rode one that was set up for you, don't be too quick to judge. I could feel the exact same way about a wedge chasis or a zr or a zx if they aren't set up for me, and my style of riding.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and like pooxcsp500 said let people ride what they want to ride. You tried the sled and didn't like it, that's fine with me! I personally enjoy my rev and wouldn't trade it for anything at the time being. Maybe someday I'll try one of the new IQ chasis sleds that polaris is making now or maybe yamaha. Who knows I'll cross that bridge when it gets here, but for me the days of riding on the older chasis are going to be few and far between. just my .02

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I would ride a rev or a fusion iq or any newer sled. there all very simalar but i just seem to lover a rev, plus ive droven one for about 1600 miles.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most observations I made were ones that do not nead more time in the saddle to determine. If I have to ride a sled for hundreds of miles to like it then the idea is I need to fit the sled. A good sled in my opinion is one that when you get on and ride. From the moment you start, the machine should fit you. Thats a good engineering job by a manufacturer that knows what it is all about. From the time I took my first ride on the 2002 Edge RMK it did everything well and with ease.

Everyone has reasons for their choices, mine is in the details that matter to me. If another sled brand/model I ride is better, then I would consider that over what I have allready experienced.

Happy sledding folks no matter what you ride.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by erick
[br]What kind of riding do you do? I'd take a REV over any EDGE or Pro-X any day of the week.
I ride flatland groomed trails (if I have too), fields, very hilly and treed areas, love to carve, get air, tackle the deepest snow I can find, mountains once or twice a season.
I am bored with simple flatland cruising. Love technical challenges such as side hilling in areas requiring maximum physical effort and skill to master.

·
Registered
634 Posts
[br]Most observations I made were ones that do not nead more time in the saddle to determine. If I have to ride a sled for hundreds of miles to like it then the idea is I need to fit the sled. A good sled in my opinion is one that when you get on and ride. From the moment you start, the machine should fit you. Thats a good engineering job by a manufacturer that knows what it is all about. From the time I took my first ride on the 2002 Edge RMK it did everything well and with ease.
Well I am amazed at your comments on the 800 REV. That is the snappiest 800 out of the box, withou a doubt. Throttle response is amazing. I can see you not loving the rider foward, that is a preferance matter. You say you felt completely comfortable on your 02 RMK when you first rode it, what was your previous sled? I bet it was a simular chassis! Drastic changes require some time to get comfortabe on. I loved my 02 RMK but I don't miss it at all now that I have a REV. It just fits my riding terrain perfectally, and it is tougher than any other sled I have ever owned. There is a reason skidoo has been #1 in sled sales for a couple seasons now, and no it is not hype created by the mags. Love it or Hate it, the rev chassis was a large enough of an impact on the sled industry to change everyones outlook on sleds, all 4 manufactures.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I have to say, you've confirmed it, you can't just jump off a conventional chassis and onto a rider forward chassis like it's the same thing. Since I went to rider forward I have had to wait behind conventional sleds for what seems like hours on twisty, bumpy trails. While the edge chassis sleds pound away, I can keep riding for another couple of hours, and with my back, I can say that's something to be said. I think the traditional chassis sleds look better, but if you want to look good go skiing. I won't say I'll always buy Doo's but I'll never go back to a traditional chassis, unless it's a vintage sled.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Originally posted by BarkMulcher
[br]
You can pretty much walk out of a ski-doo dealer with a new sled without paying a penny...they give them away. e.g no payments, no down payments, no payments for over a year...

That is also why you can get a 2 yearold ski-doo dirt cheap....the owners want to get rid of them before they have to make payments with crazy interest rates.

You can also get 2 year old Cats dirt cheap becuase no one buys them and there are tons still sitting in the showroom still[;)]
Yep it's a copy of Polaris' snow check. No intrest no payment till march of 07. If I coulda bought a used one cheap, I would have. The 05 and 06 polaris 900's are selling for less than a 3 year old doo 800! Everybody want's the rider forward. In the mountanis, when you slam on one side to get that wedge or zx chassie, or heavy kitty on it's side, you watch as someone on a Rev looks one direction and his sled tips up effortlessly. Bad on the trails? Maybe for you, but I have kidney diasease, I rode my 07 151 through whoops in Island park Idaho at 60! Didn't pee any blood that night if you catch my drift, It is sooooo much better ride than any other sled I have ever ridden. Maybe it's a bit of the new, but those trails in I.P. haven't been groomed yet, and they are washboard s.o.b's. and they were np, I for one; am sold on rider forward as of this season.

·
Registered
542 Posts
It all comes down to personal preference. The rev isnt the greatest sled period but its also not a piece of crap. You would take an edge over a rev anyday while i would take a rev over just about any polaris. Neither of us is wrong, its just what we feel comfortable on. Typically anyone who mods their sled with bar risers and taller seats is comfortable on a rider forward sled. If you spend most of the time sitting on the seat you would naturally find it uncomfortable.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Your comparing an RMK to a Renagade.RMK's are clutched different than regular trail sleds,check the service manual.The Renagade has the junkiest shocks available unless you get the x package,that causes bad roll.You said the handleing and traction was much better than the Renagade in deep snow.The Rmk is a Mountain sled made for deep snow.Was the Renagade a long track or short track?Big difference in deep snow.We just worked on my freinds 05 800 Renagade because of not enough snap.Clutch spring was broke and Helix way to small of an angle.We put heavier springs steeper helix and changed gearing.There is so much snap now his first time out he came close to going over backwards.I have been a Polaris man all my life.Tried a Doo on the racetrack and we now own 3 Doo's.I think Polaris's newer sleds are comparible to Doo's.I'm not putting down any sled there all fun but each sled is set up for different conditions.

·
Registered
625 Posts
[br]

Not here in the states,you have to give the used Polaris's away and the Doo's are holding there value.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Originally posted by Offshore24
[br]I have to say, you've confirmed it, you can't just jump off a conventional chassis and onto a rider forward chassis like it's the same thing. Since I went to rider forward I have had to wait behind conventional sleds for what seems like hours on twisty, bumpy trails. While the edge chassis sleds pound away, I can keep riding for another couple of hours, and with my back, I can say that's something to be said. I think the traditional chassis sleds look better, but if you want to look good go skiing. I won't say I'll always buy Doo's but I'll never go back to a traditional chassis, unless it's a vintage sled.
I knew this topic would get your comment. Who's gonna ride anyway with weather like today or tomorrow or the day after tomorrow![xx(]

·
Registered
577 Posts
Originally posted by sickler
[br]
[br]

Not here in the states,you have to give the used Polaris's away and the Doo's are holding there value.

Different marketing for different areas it seems. It's all good. So if anyone wants a cheap Ski-doo, come to Ontario,Can. LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts