Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get measurements for changing the mounting location holes for a rear suspension. I have a 93 polaris XLT special and I am trying to mount a rear 12 inch suspension from a 96 polaris XLT special. I have read through this forum and have looked at the website provided and all talk is changing to a 10 inch. I need measurments for the 12 inch. Adding a little extra cushion for the wife to be. New engine, clutch and some pipes, looking to rip it this year... Appreciate any help.. thanks

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have heard that the Xtra-12 is very hard on Hyfax's and drive chains because of the steep approach on the front of the track. You should change both every 1000-1500 miles. I just bought one and am finding out from my mechanic and a racer friend all the problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I will keep that in mind... I am changing it just to give the wife a better ride than the original 7.5 inch.. if she puts 1500 miles a year I would be surprised... I had your same crank problem and mine was a bearing.. have redone the whole engine just need to finish this suspension and then ride the beast...

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Polaris XLTSP:
I have heard that the Xtra-12 is very hard on Hyfax's and drive chains because of the steep approach on the front of the track. You should change both every 1000-1500 miles. I just bought one and am finding out from my mechanic and a racer friend all the problems.

[/quote]

Hmmm, they recomend changing the chain every 1000-1500 miles, due to the steep approach of the track hu? Very interesting. I bought my 97 XLT SP cheap because it had a shattered chain case from the chain letting go at about 70 mph. I had always thought that it was due to the previous owner not checking the tension of the chain. But I'll have to keep this in mind now.

Anyone else out there ever have problems with their drive chain on an XLT???

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
425 Posts
You know Tfin70 I was just to PM you on this one. I know you have a 97 XLT SP and was wondering what your thoughts were on this one. I'm now concerned since I have a 96 XLT SP. Maybe Polaris-Man or TriumphOverU know about this one. By the way, I am a little uninformed on this one, what and were is the Hyfax? I've heard it mentioned but haven't figured it out yet.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I really don't have a lot of personal experience on this one. I just got my XLT last year. Like I said I bought it with the chain already broke.

The hyfax is just another term for the sliders. The two long pieces of plastic that slide on the bottom of each of the rails of your suspension. They are what wear as the track clips slide against them.

But I am interested in any info anyone else might have concerning XLT drive chains. Sliders are cheap to replace. Drive chains aren't, especially when they let got at speed and shatter your chain case

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
425 Posts
Oh the slides? You know there are so many different descriptions for some of the most simple parts. For example Skags, runners, & carbides. They are almost all basically the same thing. Skags are runners that can have carbides but not necessarily, runners may or may not have carbide, and carbides are runners or skags with carbide embedded in them.
Geeeeee!!!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i had a chain break on my 95 but that is because it came lose on the trail and started to rachet. i was thinking it was my track so i thought i could make it home and just tighten my track. i went to cross hw65 at cambridge and vrooooooooooooooooooooooom went the little engine. as i just sat there.lol i had the extra wheels on my xtr12 i didnt change hyfax in 5000 miles. that was with pipes on thengine.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Al, I wish I could help with the measurements. Best I could recommend is someone on the site who has a shop manual. It might have some details or info that would help. Sorry. -Mike

·
Registered
948 Posts
No problems on my two '94's so far [ knock on wood ] mind you I also don't have that nasty 12" rear suspension to worry about.

Sorry Al, no measurements here.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well guys in MY OPINION i would say that the chain problems you have had are mostly do to incorrect tension on the chain. Or another possibility is that the oil was not changed and metal shavings may have prematurely worn the chain. It is a good idea to take the cover off the chaincase and check for any severe wear or cracks in the chain and sprockets on a regular basis (yearly or every couple thousand miles). If you are still weary of a weak chain, you can buy a high-performance roller chain from places like EPI that is much stronger, but this will also require you to purchace new gears as well.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts