Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking to do my first chaincase oil change, and was wondering if anyone could walk me through it here. I'm mechanically inclined, but would like some simple instructions like:

• what weight / how much gear oil should I get
    [/*]
  • what should I look for when I get in there with respects to damage, slop, etc...
    [/*]
  • where in the world do I start to take this thing apart!? I'm sure that I can figure it out, but would rather avoid the hasstle of unbolting all the wrong stuff :) [/*]

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Use the yamaha gear oil. Refer to owner's manual for quantity. I you don't have manual ask dealer.

If you have to take the cover off to do it on a Yamaha, then look for metal pieces, chain scraping away at housing, rust (but there shouldn't be any rust).

I don't know how Yamaha's are built. My polaris owner's manual tells me how to do it. Doesn't Yamaha give you the same info?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yamaha recommends API GL-3 75 or 80 weight gear oil. I usually use synthetic gear oil.

Adjust the chain, loosen the jamb nut, turn the adjusting screw "finger tight only" to remove the slop in the chain, tighten the jamb nut.

There should be a drain bolt that you can access from inside the tunnel, it's on the lower back side of the chain case. Or you can remove the cover.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Taking the cover off is easy and if its like my cat its o ringed so you don't have to worry about gaskets. My cat gear lube comes in a bottle with the right amount. I think like 8 oz on my sled. Its a lot easier than you might think. Hadn't done it until I needed to drop my driver to install a new track and it was pretty simple.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts