Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wanting more "zip" from my machine and maybe some better throttle response but dont have the bucks to throw down for some major mods. i am thinking of dropping my top gear down from a 19 tooth to a 17 tooth. i have done some research and this should work with the chain that i already have in it. what do you guys think of this? i was told that it might help with my lowend bogging, as the people i talked to think that it is bogging because it isnt backshifting like it should.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Have you checked what primary spring you are running,what is your clutch ingaging at? We changed the spring in my 73 TX and it made a world of differance it now launches at 5,000 rpm and is a rocket on the bottom end. Springs are not expensive and not that hard to change if you have access to a clutch puller. Check this and see what it does,as for changing your gear this will also affect your top end you may top out your rpms before reaching your top speed becareful and maybe check with your local dealer first.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
yep canadian guy is right, what color primary spring do you have now, what does it engage at.

gearing down can help but i would only go to an 18 on top, you might be better to go up one on the bottom, but you also need to look at what your top end is now, if you can do 90+ a gear down might help. if you can only do 70, a gear down will hurt you, with a different primary spring we can raise your engagement a little but keep shift rate the same,

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
you don't need a clutch puller to change the spring. Just take all the bolts out and the cover comes right off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts