Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
I think it is possible to take them out without removing the skid... but don't waste your time. Yank the skid.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I have done it before. In fact my XLT is sitting right now with the suspension in and the shocks out. However, it is a pain in the rump. The only reason I did it is because I have very limited room in my shop right now and I had just replaced hyfax and bearings.

If you have any other reason to remove the suspension (grease shafts, replace bearings, replace hyfax, etc.) do it that way.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
It can be done, but I'd pull it out even if there was nothing else you planned on doing. I have done it both ways...pulling the skid out saves so much time, energy, and frustration from my experiences.

It's only 4 bolts, hardest part is lining it back up and that's not to bad either.

Doesn't hurt to look over your bearings and hyfax's anyways...plus greasing it if you haven't already this year.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Exactly what Blackcat said.

I would just pull it out. It would be so much easier to change the shocks. Plus, then you can give everything a good inspection and grease job and feel good going down the trail knowing you know everything is in good shape.

·
Registered
11 Posts
just take the time and pull the skid out and its a whole lot easier, that way i can lubricate everything to make it alot better and well taken care of. its alot easier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
just take the time and pull the skid out and its a whole lot easier, that way i can lubricate everything to make it alot better and well taken care of. its alot easier.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
exactly what everyone else said its looks possible to do without taking out the skid but it also looks like a son of a bitch to do it that way. i had a hard enough time doing it with the skid out and ended up using an air ratchet so ya lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts