Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible to change the supension on an 81 Jag 4000 440 f/c? I mean.. like, could I put on a 13inch travel shock, and change some other things to give me more travel? What else would I have to change around?
Does anybody think I might be able to buy Polaris IFS A-arms, and weld them to this sled? Perhaps change a few other things around, and have an 81 Jag w/ IFS?
What is the difficulty level of both of these projects?
Thanx soooo much...
Matt

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
your gonna have to be one helluva a thinker and designer. it could be done, but needs lots of planning, hope your good with a cutting torch and welder precise on drilling new holes, witht he amount of time this would take you it would be much easier to buy a new sled IMO

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
your jag has leaf spring front suspension doesn right?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even putting a larger shock in would require quite some work? What is the point of a Coil spring on your shock? Why is it optional?
And No, my Jag has the other kind of suspension.. forgot what it's called. It has one shock for each ski, and the only movement the ski does is up and down, to conform to the ground.. know what I am talkin about?
Thanx a buch Arctic Cat man..
Matt

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i dont know if the rear would in that would even be able to accomadte a 13 inch shock, that is all most shocks do that your talking bout in the front is flow over bumps on ground, someone will prolly be able to answer your question better tho, i think it would be quite some work especially what u wanna do with the front

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why would my rear-end not be able to accomodate a 13-inch shock? If I can at least get more than the 7.5 inch (i believe it is) travel stock, I will be pretty happy.. but I was aiming for 13.
And I knew this was going to be difficult to explain.. I mean the ski just pivots on an axis.. not like new ones where the ski actualy goes up and down...
I figured the front will be a bitch.. but it would prolly be worth it.. rite?
Thanx again Arctic Cat man..
Matt

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
it wouldnt be worth it IMO, by the time it is all said and done u will have spent so much time on it, it would abeen better to just get a sled with IFS on it

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
If you are just looking for more ride hight you can drill new holes in the tunnel and make some brackets to lift your sled up "kinda like a body lift" we did that to our 86 indy 400 sks so it sits more like a MTN sled..

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well.. seing I only am gonna pay 300-350 dollars for this sled.. as it is all I can afford.. I want to just modify this sled to be better.
RMK King.. you mean "drill new holes" as in just make new suspension holes for the shock closer to the front of the sled?
If I lift the sled.. do I add more travel also, or no.. because that is more-or-less what I am looking for.
Thanx all,
Matt

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
you wouldnt be doing anything with the suspension it self,you would just be unbolting it from the sled drilling new holes and bolting it back on to it so it sits higher giving you more clearence,so the sled wont ride any diff then it does now,it will just be higher..Its really easy to do..Also consider that the higher the sled sits the more unstable it will be and will tip over easier since jags have a narrow skistance to begin with..

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jag's are unstable to begin with? How would I add and extra 10 or something? Yes.. I understand the extra-stance thing.. thanx, I might just try that.. I might try to raise it an extra 2-3 inches. Thanx,
Matt

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
by the time u are done with your sled, u could have bought about a 93 model or newer...LOL...now u wanna put in Xtra10??? and then get IFS for it...LMAO

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
what RMK Was saying is just drill new holes in the tunnel, lower down on the tunnel and bolt the skid to that, your sled will be sitting higher

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Originally posted by 81_JAG
[br]Jag's are unstable to begin with? How would I add and extra 10 or something? Yes.. I understand the extra-stance thing.. thanx, I might just try that..
For an Xtra10 suspension it would cost you somewhere around 400-500 bucks. You would be better off looking for a sled that already has this in it, because trying to retro fit something back like 15years may not work so great, especially to a different company's sled...IMO look for a sled that already has what you want...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What 93 or newer could be bought for 350 dollars?
And I dunno about an actual "extra 10".. but I want to make my own "extra" something.. lol
I will make my own IFS... so it shouldn't cost too much money..
Mat

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
1.if you build your own suspension it will prolly ride worse than it did b4 unless u an engineer, your profile saysyour 15, u dont have enough experience to do this

2. do you even have the tools to do this?

3. you want to customize this sled all to your own? you will never have time to ride it, buy a sled that has IFS and xtra 10 or keep your jag the way it is, it will ride good enough

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actualy I have been 16 for about 3-months now.. And my step-dad is an engineer for a living.. he could possbly help me out..
Tools are not a matter here.. we have tons of them...
You think that the Jag wil ride ok stock? It won't be too bumpy or anything?

BTW.. how fast do you think it will go stock? Will it be a good ride with 2 people on it?
Matt

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
An 81 Jag is not very good by any means.

It probably won't ride great, because the suspensions back then just weren't very good. It won't go fast because it's a 440 fan. Max speed is probably 70 to 75 MPH. With 2 people on it, probably in the 60 mph range.

As for building your own suspenions. Well, all that stuff is super-precision. If a hole is out of place by 1/8 of an inch, it's noticable on all manuvers, whether it's just riding over rough terrain or manuvering through a curvey trail.

Fact is, for 300 bucks, you aren't going to have a high end, good riding, powerful machine. You get what you pay for, and if this is all the $ you have got, I'd leave it and live with it, because if you start trying to build your own suspensions and such, you aren't going to have a sled at all.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The dude who is selling it to me (a pretty good friend of mine) says him and his pretty big bro were going about 80-ish on it.
The ride won't be too terrible will it?
Suspensions are that freakin precision? dammit.. lol.
And personaly... 70-ish mph is just fine for me.. it's a first sled..
My friend got me hooked last winter... and I rode around on his 88 Polaris Indy Sport 340.. and it was just fine for me..
I also rode on his Polaris Indy 500.. very sweet!!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
sled speedos are off by 10 to 15 mph. and chad you get what you pay for huh??? looky at my sled after all i just traded some rc cars for it lol

1 - 20 of 76 Posts