Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Arctic cat 1991 ext 550 special and would like to attempt a track change. Do I need any special tools to do this and is it above the average joe's ability. Do I need to pull the jackshaft along with the secondary clutch to do this ?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yes with a few basic shop tools you should be able to do it.

The secondary clutch must come off, but you don't have to take it apart. It should come off the shaft relatively easily without a puller. Take the speedo gear and jackshaft bearing out. Take the chaincase off, use rags to catch the chain oil. Drop the rear skid (suspension). Slide the jackshaft to one side (this can be tight) and remove. Track should be free to replace in reverse order.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had never changed out a track, but I just got done changing mine out last week, and other than having the wrong length at first, everything went fine. No special tools were needed on mine, I had a chain hoist to pick up the rear end, and check for clearance if your lugs are bigger. I went from about a 3/8" (no kidding) lug to a 7/8" and it made a big difference in traction, and was worth the $200 I paid for a used track. Good luck!

"When you come to the fork in the road, TAKE IT!"

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
we have faith in you, track changing isnt as bad as it seems, bman did a good job explining how to do it......attaboy bman!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Bman, why are you taking the chaincase off to change a track? How do you feel its nessesary? I'm just curious! In my experience, when you remove the speedo side bearing and the lower gear off, the shaft will slide right out of the case side bearing. and you just tip the driveshaft down and out it comes.

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
You must remove the chaincase cover and the gear that is bolted to that end of the drive shaft. Without doing this you will not be able to slide and remove the drive shaft. It is usually a very easy thing to do, and you should have no problems.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
278 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by sportster64:

I have an Arctic cat 1991 ext 550 special and would like to attempt a track change. Do I need any special tools to do this and is it above the average joe's ability. Do I need to pull the jackshaft along with the secondary clutch to do this ?[/quote]

I am attaching a link to RV Sports in Thief River Falls MN. you might want to check them out. They are selling Cat tracks pretty cheap. I paid under $100 for a new one for my 88 ElTigre last year. It was a little dirty and had some surface rust on the clips but after a short ride it looked as good as a full price track. I think they had these sitting on the ground in a pole barn or something like that.
It's not very tough changing them just takes a couple hours.

http://www.rvsports.com/s-tracks.htm

I forgot to attach the link the first time.

2001 ZL800
Delta IIs
Power Breather
MBRP Silencer
Coupling Kit
Goodwin Clutch Kit

Creek beds don't make good brakes!

Edited by - rtkatzl8 on 27 Jan 2002 16:49:33

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Spaceman , On sleds with four drive sprockets like my Ultra and my XCR800 you must remove the chain case for clearance problems.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
bman-triumph& hotrod are all right, the chaincase must come apart, otherwise you will be struggling, and the driveshft will not move enough to free itself. wether you have 4 drives or 2, chaincase must be taken apart, or at least the nut on the lower sproket must be removed

·
Registered
266 Posts
O.K. I get it now. He's meaning the chaincase cover....Right? I mean its obvious that you must remove the lower gear on the case side. and you gotta take the cover off to get to it. I'm sorry I was getting to particular on terms. Its a German thing!!!

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

1 - 10 of 10 Posts