Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a sled for sale out of PA and was hoping the people on this board may be of help in answering questions.

It is a firebird ss with a hirth 650. non original seat.

was this sled only made in '72?

would this sled have an engine cover louver like all the other chaparrals I have ever seen? This sled is open around the carb area.

Would the factory have to grind a small half circle into the edge of the engine fan cover casing to provide clearance for the handle bar hoop that arches across the engine from the sides of the tunnel?

That motor was a very tight fit in this chassis!

So did they make a lot of them or was it not too common of a sled?

I would love any comments or pics about this sled, thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I don't think they ever made a Chapparral with a hirth 650 in it.
I think they used Fugi engines and only went up to 440 in 72.
Not sure but that is what I recall.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
yeah but they are 440's and if you could find one i would buy it

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
According to that site they put a 650 in them, I never saw one around these parts. I bought a 1972 340 SSIII new back then.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made a mistake there were more than just two hirth motors offered in 72 - as they made a single cylinder, a 440, the 634, and the 650?

Was hoping to hear from someone who owned one, or sold them back in the day.

I want it bad but got save some more $$$ as he wants a couple hundred more then I initially offered. Been thinking alot about buying this sucker!!

Must be crazy as it is gonna hit 95 degrees where I live today[xx(]

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
yeah well at least u will have it for winter comming soon[:D]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SOON

just sold a 72 oly 399 so the funds are getting closer to purchase.
Put up that pic to hopefully get some others to provide more info and to see if anyone has spare parts for it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes in 72 the was a a 650 firebird SS.....It had a 634cc hirth in it...The hirth came in 1 other engine size also but I can't rememeber...As a young kid thats all we ever had was Chaparral's..72 Firebird SS 440..73 SSIII 440...74 SSX 440...I have the 72 in my shed...dad sold it a long time ago and 1 day about 15 yrs ago I found it sitting along side a house with a blown motor in it....went to the house and bought it back for $25....been with me ever since....plan on restoring it....still have the motor out of the 74 SSX and heat exchanger also....We trail rode with a bunch of people that owned Chaparrals...There was even a 71 650 that the Kohler in it....you guys are really bringing back memories....even have movies that was on super 8 movies racing the Chaparrals....they are now on VHS tapes now...........sorry for my rambling..[:)][:)][:)]

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^
You should post some clips.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys finally closed the deal on the Chappy. I will be looking for a nice seat and a good used grille, but I took it out for some field ripsafter getting it home! I am HAPPY that I dropped the coin to buy it. Guy maintained it rather well, and it came with a new track already installed, and all the bogies and cross shafts were just replaced then too

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sweet deal. Have you got anymore pics to post? I love the old machines[:p]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are a few pics of the Firebird SS. Does anyone have a good seat for this seld maybe a grille for it too?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts