Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that certain times when I hit the throttle ( usuallt at a dead stop but sometimes at low speeds) I get a significant chattering from my track (I think, my heads never underneath there when it happens). A friend of mine has a newer Cat that occasionally does the same thing. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Also check to be sure that your suspension isn't all busted up. Mine did the same thing at one time, and it was broke and bent pretty bad. (Which loosend the track tension)

89 Polaris Indy Trail - >8,000 miles on sled, rebuilt eng; new track, and a whole lot of missing rivets!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Could be a bad bearing in an idler wheel. I know i have changed 4 or 5 in older sleds that gives a chatter sound. Check for side to side movement (meaning staying straight ahead and not turning) of the wheels and make sure they rotate smoothly and freely.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
529 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by firepinto:

Also check to be sure that your suspension isn't all busted up. Mine did the same thing at one time, and it was broke and bent pretty bad. (Which loosend the track tension)

89 Polaris Indy Trail - >8,000 miles on sled, rebuilt eng; new track, and a whole lot of missing rivets![/quote]

I also had the same problem on a 86 Indy 400. The slide rail broke and the track started to slip and in the end so did the track.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Check your chain and gears. My buddy's Storm did the same thing. Turned out he had a bad bearing behind the lower gear. The bearing allowed the gear to have some free play and the chain would slip. He ended blowing the whole chaincase apart before he found the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts