Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, can anyone else say they are pretty pumped up for this comming sledding season? I just wish the damn hunters didn't have as much power as they do. We don't always have snow in December like we do this year, but we don't always have snow in Jan, Feb, Mar either. By not being able to ride in late Nov or the first 3 weeks in December, we lose a month from our ~4 month season where we can expect snow.

Snowmobiling is growing fast in NY, especially Chautauqua County. It's a wonder that it took so long, since we are so close to W Pa and E Ohio. Those guys don't get near the amount of riding down there compared to WNY. Now we are getting more and more of them who are becomming club members in Chautauqua County. This helps The Chautauqua County Trail system improve more and more each year. For example, The Cherry Creek Snow Goers were grooming 3-4 days a week last year. That alone has made riding more enjoyable, not to mention the additional trails and bridges that are added each year. Another reason for Chautauqua County's increase in popularity among out of staters comes from the local businesses along the trail. Food is great, gas is always nearby, lodging is becoming more and more plentiful and the general ambiance of the unique establishments create a wonderful experience.

Like the old saying, "you have to make hay when the sun shines". It's just like New York State Liberals to take 1/4 of the "sunshine" away from the people who are trying to pole vault the Western New York Economy from its constant, current state.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Funny how you blame the liberals for the hunters having priority access to these areas..

I wonder how many hunters are liberals? Let me guess, ummmmmmm, none!!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
We put some good miles on in the area. I am not a hunter and don't really agree either but I respect what they have going on....plus they have guns!

I am ready to go any time...too bad the cottage is winterized so we stay at a friends cabin. Anyone know when the Winterfest is in Mayville?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I am a hunter and not a liberal and I must acknowledge they did cut us 3 days short this year. proves how much we have to shorten our season by 3 days.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good points about the hunters not being liberals. Hey, I had to blame somebody and why not libs, even if its not their fault (lol). Anyways, it just boggles my mind that this is allowed to go on. I wonder if hunters interupt trail systems through other snowmobiling states like Michigan, Wisconsin or Minnesota. I really don't know but would be interested in finding out.

Anyways, I really didn't intend to offend anyone or start a political battle. My original intention was to start a nice informational chat session about anything snowmobiling related in Chautauqua County, NY.

Where do you ride in Chautauqua County? Favorite specific rides?

Does anyone have a significant ride from home to the trail system on any "unofficial trails"? If so, please explain if you are comfortable doing so.

What are your favorite "haunts" along the trail system?

Has anyone heard of or frequented the "speak easy" located along the trail near Cherry Creek?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Answering my own question: Does anyone have a significant ride from home to the trail system on any "unofficial trails"?

Most of the area where the trails in Chautauqua County run are among the areas that recieve the heaviest amount of snowfall. This is nice for those who live above the Chautauqua Ridge, however there are no trails that lead into or near one of the most populated, and coincidentally most neglected areas of the county. This area has more lodging facilities than anywhere in the county. The area of mention is the NYS Thruway interchange at Dunkirk/Fredonia. I heard a rumor that there was pressure to create a trail that began behind the Days Inn and was accessable by all of the Motels on Vineyard Drive and Rte 60. This trail would weave behind Wal-Mart and eventually cross Rte 20 near the High School. From there, I believe Stone Quarry Rd would take the trail up to Miller Rd and eventually end up on Ball Rd. From there, you are just about on the trails. Im not sure, but I believe the truck trails begin at the end of Miller Rd at the intersection of Ball Rd. From there, you are on the trail.

Although the details are not known and this plan is not moving forward, it should be revisited. If people could ride their sled from their motel right near the Thruway interchange our trail system would have much more riders frequenting the bars and businesses along the way. Obviously this is the best, fastest way to bring an influx of out of town/State/Country money to our county.

Back to the original question: Do you have any unofficial trails that lead from your house to the trails, especially anyone who rides from the DKNY, Fredonia area or anywhere north of RTE 20?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I too would like to know, although I won't make it down there until next weekend at the earliest. They are talking a "pattern change and above average temps next week". Those are the same people who are wrong 8x out of 10 and are still employed too. So, how are the trails?

·
Registered
463 Posts
hey guys www.westernpasnowmobiler.com/forum lots of info and riders from the area your speaking of!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has anyone ever thought about trying to expand the Chautauqua County Trail system in the direction of Fredonia? This is a touchy topic because of the lack of support by land owners and the general mind set of Fredonia area politicians with regards to snowmobiling. It seems that they just don't want it "in their back yard". This amazes me because of the potential for business success along the snowmobile trail.

In a recent discussion with my brother who lives on Berry Rd in the town on Pomfret, the Idea of a trail that leads to Hillview Golf Course was brought up. We actually brain stormed the topic like we were the owners of the golf course (over beers, of course) and we came up with what we think is a good potential plan. First, the owners need to embrace this business oppertunity. Hillview has always closed its doors around Nov 1st-April 1st. Its a shame because the clubhouse is fully equipped as a bar and resturant. They could open on Thurs-Sun with sleds as their target customer base. Fri night fish fry, wings, burgs, fries, you get the point. Beers and liquer at the bar, the addition of a fireplace right in the middle of the clubhouse in the corner of the resturant area. Perfect place to hang out and defrost.

The first thing necessary is a trail that leads to Hillview. We ride from near hillview on berry rd to Cassadaga along unofficial trails. The easiest way would to receive cooperation of the land owners. This trail begins on Berry Rd, crosses RTE 20 and meanders up to the intersection of Chautauqua Rd, Rood Rd and Webster Rd. From there the trail follows the shoulder of webster on the north side heading towards BOCES. If there is enough snow you can ride webster rd all the way to the corn field at the intersection of Webster and Water st/Fredonia-Stockton Rd. If not you just have to follow the trails through the back yards and fields of the people who live on the North side of Webster, cross seymour street and continue through the fields until you reach the corn field at the end of webster. Cross the rd, ride the corn field toward BOCES, then ride the extreem south end of BOCES property following the NRG powerline right of way until you reach the old DAVP rail road tracks that take you into Cassadaga where you will catch the trail system. There may be other ways to go, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to explore a straight shot towards the hills, where you could catch the trail that goes from Stockton to Brockton.

I know that this land below the Chautauqua Ridge doesn't receive as much snowfall as the southern end of the county, but it still does get a bunch of snow. Heck, there is a trail into Brockton and they get the same snow as Fredonia, right? Anyways, I believe this would be possible and the only way to make it happen is to come up with a detailed plan and then present it to the proper authorities.

If I were the owner of Hillview Golf Course, I would be in the process of making this happen. It only makes sense. Hillview has to pay taxes year long and they are currently only using 7 months to make money. With the opening of a Bar/resturant in that location, a large local draw would follow. This business would target snowmobilers but would be open to everyone. There is no doubt that there would be more business when the trails were open, but I believe agressive advertising would draw enough non-sled business to pay the bills throughout the winter.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Sounds like you need to buy the golf course and open the trail! But really...it sounds good. FInd the owner and present it to them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
borz80 said:
who would ever have come up with this idea, guy must have been drunk when he thought of this.
Like I said, the idea came up over many beers lol

Are there any riders from the Fredonia/Brocton NY area who are reading this? If so, please chime in. Another thought: The Castle Bar/Resturant in Brockton. I used to hear that this place was a hell of a good time. In case you aren't familiar, it is located on Webster Rd on the Westfield side of Brocton, NY. I believe the trail runs right past it on the way to the Brocton American Legion. Unfortunately I am too young to have ever been in this bar. Let me know what you remember of this haunt.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Has anyone else ever searched Chautauqua Snowmobiling on Youtube? There is a member who has a camera attached to the handlebars of his sled and he has lots of video from Chautauqua Lake and surrounding area trails. Check them out!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just spoke to my buddy Rich who owns R&R Powersports located on the S19 trail in cassadaga and he said the groomers were supposed to go out today. I guess they have snow but less than a foot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts