Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the trails aren't open in Chautauqua County, but I wanted to create a thread for us to report the condition of the trails. Is anyone riding yet? If so, where are you able to ride without the trails? do you ride around your house, or do you have other non-trail rides that you use?

·
Registered
2 Posts
SledderFL said:
I know the trails aren't open in Chautauqua County, but I wanted to create a thread for us to report the condition of the trails. Is anyone riding yet? If so, where are you able to ride without the trails? do you ride around your house, or do you have other non-trail rides that you use?
Sure have perfect conditions in Panama NY!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, has anyone been riding? How are the trails? I so wish I were in NY now. I am currently living in FL and it is so boring here in the winter. I will be up there riding for about 3 weeks total this year, but I won't be able to ride until the 12th of January. I really hoe there isn't a big thaw between now and then.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I may be good to ride for a few days around the 12th...keep me posted and we will see what the conditions are like. I would like to hook up with some fellow members and ride, even for a day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whitexc said:
I may be good to ride for a few days around the 12th...keep me posted and we will see what the conditions are like. I would like to hook up with some fellow members and ride, even for a day.
Sounds good. I will be riding every day from the 11-19th. I'll let ya know

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I am dropping in Mayville this Tuesday for the day and will return with a first ride(down there) of the year report. How much snow is there? Wasn't there a phone # for trail conditions?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the entire area south of the Chautauqua Ridge has 2-3+ ft of snow. Where are you going to ride? I really want to go out to Pine Junction. Ever been there? I guess there are a few good spots over toward Sherman/Findley Lake. I like to hang around Mayville during the week and ride over toward Cherry Creek on the weekends. I would love to get back to South Dayton on the weekend. Check out cherrycreeksnogoesr.com for trail conditions.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Thanks for the site. We do the Sherman loop a few times a year. It depends on where we are and who we are with. That is a nice ride out that way with some nice fields and woods trails. I have some people down there tonight and will hear from them soon. Problem with them is the bar...they get stuck there....I am going to ride.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I know the feeling. I usually stop for gas, meals and a few beers but I don't like drinking too much while riding. I like to ride at least 100 miles each day. Usually I end my ride sometime around 10-12pm at the Whiskey Hill Saloon in Cassadaga. From there its 10 miles of unofficial trails back to Berry Rd in Fredonia. Take it nice and easy and you get home safe.

Have you ever been out to Tom's Tavern in Maple Springs near Midway Park on the East side of Chautauqua Lake? That place is a great sled hangout with cheap beer and good food. I have never riden into Bemus Point, but I guess there are a few good bars and resturants there. From there, I like to ride towards Gerry and possibly stop at the Backyard for wings and beer. Last time I rode that way, I then rode toward Cockaigne Ski Area. Cockaigne has the nicest bar, but it is the most expensive. After that we rode into Cherry Creek to the Trillium Lodge.

Have you ever hit any of the above mentioned places?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Been to all of them except the bar at Cockaigne....and you are right about Tom's Tavern. Its a great place and priced right. I am not sure where the other guys are riding but we will probably head towrds Cassadaga and Cherry Crk. Usually when we do day trips we drop from Surefine but the others are in Mayville. Still may just drop there and ride over to the Ville. I will keep you posted on conditions. Off to the DMV to reggie.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
All loaded up and ready to go. I finished my 7 day trick of midnights this morning and am having a few cocktails to finish the day. Waiting on a response from the others who are there already. Leaning more towards just dropping at Surefine and going out just the two of us. You can cover so much more ground when there isn't a train....that likes to stop at every bar....with their Doo jacket, Doo Bibs, Doo boots, Doo hat, jeans, underware, socks....noticing a pattern!? I will keep you posted and if we can get together in a couple weeks I am game. They are saying rising temps and rain next weekend. Yucko.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
^^^^Just read that and sorry for the Doo diss...it was a poke at those guys not Doo guys...although that is fun too! So, we dropped at Surefine, had some issues with the buddies 370 fanner off the bat but got it resolved. We opted to head out to Cattaraugus after getting a report that Mayville and the surrounding areas were bumpy. The trails around Cassadaga weren't bad and the further east we got it was great, especially out past Cherry Crk. The trails got better and better and then by the time we got back to Surefine all those trails were pretty wooped up. We rode for about 6 hrs and got in 135 miles. It was a great day for riding and I hiope th erain and warmer temps don't kill things. If they got another 8-10" down there now it would be wonderful. Over all big thumbs up and props to all the groomers out there. It was nice to ride in December for once.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice and thanks for the report. I really hope they don't get all of the rain they are forecasting. I have to buy a plane ticket soon, but not too soon. I usually can get a ticket for the same price as an advance purchased ticket when I buy 5 days before flying. Nobody wants to fly into buffalo in January, I guess. Anyways, I'll hopefully be there in a little less than two weeks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I see that Chautauqua County fell victim to the warm weather and rain. The last report on trail conditions shows all trails closed as of 12/30.
I just wonder how much snow is still on the ground and what areas still have snow, if any. With the temps in the upper 40's and low 50's along with rain, I wouldn't be supprised if no snow is left. If anyone has a direct report, please let us know.

There is snow in the forecast with a lake effect snow advisory from 4pm today until 10am monday with 4-7" expected in the western Southern Tier. We can only hope for as much snow as possible.

As I mentioned before, I am planning on a trip to NY from FL to ride from 1/10-1/19. I haven't purchased a ticket yet but I do have the time off from work reserved. I have to make a decision soon as to wheather I will make the trip for the scheduled time or not. I will be closely monitoring weather conditions over the next few days so I can make the best decision possible. Any information on trail conditions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
They have more snow than here but ours is gone and the fields are wet, real wet. It got real cold last night and is pretty cold today but it needs to dry up and then give us 2 feet. Not looking good as of now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the update. I am very excited to get up there, but I won't hesitate to postpone the trip until there is snow. I will have to make a decision by 1/5.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
You will have to keep an eye on the conditions. They have a LES advisory up for the area now but not sure how much they will get. I know we will have more snow but just don't know when. Good luck and if we can hook up I would go for a ride for sure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
whitexc said:
You will have to keep an eye on the conditions. They have a LES advisory up for the area now but not sure how much they will get. I know we will have more snow but just don't know when. Good luck and if we can hook up I would go for a ride for sure.
I saw the news 4 weather forecast which shows a disturbance hitting all of WNY on Thursday. It may or may not be a big snow, I guess they don't know yet. They are downplaying it so it may turn out big. isnt that the way it always goes? when they call for a big snow we dont get &[email protected]?!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts