Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today a put a Powermadd articulating riser conversion kit and a 2" riser block (total of 4 1/2" of rise) and a set of Powermadd handguards on my '01 600 EDGE X.
I didnt have to put the cable extension on and I managed to make it work with the stock brake line by cutting a ziptie and moving the brake in about 1" on the handlebars.
All in all, I like it. I was looking to make my sled for comfortable for standup riding, cure the problem of my hands being cold and give it a meaner, more aggressive look and I think I got it.
I bought a plain black Pro-X barpad off of Ebay and am waiting for that to get here, plus Im going to get some black sheathing to put on the wires that are now exposed. Other than that, the sled is good to go.
Next summer its getting a 121" 1.25" lug Ripsaw track, and that should help it hook up a little bit better. The orignal track is almost due to be replaced, but after 6,000 miles Id say thats to be expected. As long as you keep puting new parts on, its always new, right?

·
Registered
191 Posts
looks good

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
nice....Who's got the sweet pro x in the background.....oh ya it's mine....

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
looks good

·
Registered
901 Posts
sweet sled looks really sharp

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Whose 'stang is that in the garage there?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
looks good. whats up with the phazer? all you need is a shorty seat

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I'm with Pance... sled looks good, but what's the story on the 'Stang?? [:D]

·
Registered
240 Posts
really nice sled. looks like a 67 in the garage, possibly a project in work?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
He canceled the phazer and got a 250f instead.

The stangs are our dads. The one in primer is a 67 fastback GTA with factory 390 with dyno sheets showing over 400 hp. It is ready to be put back together. Not much is 67' on it anymore. body off resto.

The red one is a 68 coupe auto with a 289 soon to get a nice built 302.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I cancelled the Phazer. I talked to some people on TY who already picked their's up and lets just say I decided to pass on it. IMO, no engine with fuel injection should need 15 seconds of steady cranking to start. Also, I still had doubts about that engine. Most 250Fs only go about 150 hours between rebuilds and they cost $1500+ to rebuild. Im very skeptical about that engine and the long-term maintenance costs just made me feel uneasy. I decided to just try to make my XC better and in the long run its going to be a lot cheaper to own that any 4-stroke sled. I can rebuild my 600 2-stroke for under $500, how much is an Apex, Vector or Phazer motor going to cost? Id say anywhere from $3,000-$5,000. If a 250F costs $1500 to rebuild how and its a single-cylinder, how much do you honestly think those multi-cylinder sleds are gonna cost? I think in a few years thats really going to make people rethink the idea of buying a 4-stroke sled. I know it has made me rethink things.
I bought an '06 YZ 250F instead. I actually tried to get the '06 YFZ 450 back that I traded in, but they had already sold it.
Xcr440 pretty much told you all there is to say about the Mustangs. The red one is a '68 coupe with a 289 and an auto tranny (soon to be getting a 302) and the one thats not together is a '68 GTA with a 390 V8 that was dynoed at over 400 hp. Id personally like to see my father rebuild that 289 and put that back in it because thats technically the correct motor for that car, but its not my car and Im not about to tell anyone else how they should built their car. The 289 runs sweet, it just leaks A LOT of oil. I drove the '68 one day last summer and its not at all underpowered. You gotta love the sound of true dual exhaust too. [:D]
BTW, I rode the sled about 30 miles today (nothing major, just a little shake-down run) and I love the tall bars and the handguards. I can now stand up while riding and Im not all hunched over the bars and even when wearing thin sno-x gloves my hands dont get the least bit cold. It was about 15 degrees today when I started riding and after about 10 minutes I turned the handwarmers down to low and after about an hour I totally turned them off.
Heres some pics from today. The pics were taken nearby the Shell gas station that is between St Germain and Minocqua, WI. All in all, Id rate the trails as a 7 out of 10.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
2 stroke for life......cough cough, whats with all that smoke[:D][:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
risers look good though

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nice looking sled man!!! good decision with the phazer too

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I think I made the right decision.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts