Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I was wondering if someone could look at this and tell me what you think. I'm rebuilding my engine and I have two cylinders that don't have any real scoring or wear on them. The only noticable damage is this chipping near the top of the nikasil plating. Does this cylinder require replating or can I just clean it up and use it? I believe it's above the compression ring when the piston is at TDC.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm going to recommend against using that with the chipped Nikasil lining only because I know that BMW's and Jaguars have had issues with it in the past to the point of catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if it was mine i would send it out. once it starts to flake it just keeps going.

·
Registered
471 Posts
millenium technologies has a cylinder exchange program, still quite a bit of money but a lot faster turn around. if you're dealing with an old triple you can probably buy used cylinders for cheaper, maybe even an entire used motor honestly...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Common problem on the ultras. You could go with an 800 big bore for your sled with cast iron sleeves. I just happen to have one for sale for cheaper than what you'd have shipping/replating your cylinders. LOL

·
Registered
471 Posts
1fastxc said:
Common problem on the ultras. You could go with an 800 big bore for your sled with cast iron sleeves. I just happen to have one for sale for cheaper than what you'd have shipping/replating your cylinders. LOL
I'd say call the guy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts