Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What you guys think is better for starting your sleds Choke or Primer?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I voted for the primer ,cause my ole 92 plus x doo has one and after they sit ,(some times for up to 6 months)all you have to do is primer the ole gal around 8-9 times and will start ,ones with the chokes ,no matter if i use stabil or any other so called sea foam, always have to pull the plugs and squirt some gas down the holes to make them start

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeha i was thinkin about mounting a primer on my xlt so she fires right up and i can go not take 6 pulls so the gas gets moving

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by skidogger
[br]Computer.
oh a computer where did u mount the monitor and drive on ur sled lol

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'll go choke.But answer me this.Since putting a pipe on my 700 rmk it will start on 2 pulls with no choke even on colder days.Starts better now than it did with stock pipe.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my guess would be compression on the performance pipe has less packing in it so it's pushes the gas out easier

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
My guess is that the pipe allows more air flow, causing greater velocity through the carbs, picking up a greater amount of fuel. Either way, 2 pulls without the choke is pretty sweet!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I do have a SLP high flow kit and 2 flow rites installed.But it is sweet must be a polaris!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I like a choke better. I know when the machine needs choke. And I either choke it or I don't. With a primer, how do you know how much it needs? 1 squirt, 3 squirts, 10 squirts???

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Originally posted by JD
[br]I like a choke better. I know when the machine needs choke. And I either choke it or I don't. With a primer, how do you know how much it needs? 1 squirt, 3 squirts, 10 squirts???
EXACTLY!^...I hated my old Doo's with primers. Until you know the machine and how many squirts it needs, flooding can happen very easily. Primers also have a tendancy to crap out and not work after a few seasons. Chokes usually last the life of the sled as long as the carbs don't see water. Its harder to flood a sled with a choke too I find. Every sled I had needed only 1-2 pulls on full choke and run on 1/2 choke for 5 secs and would never stall, sometimes with primers you are there priming 4-5 times to keep it from stalling.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Originally posted by Clouse2411
[br]
Originally posted by skidogger
[br]Computer.
oh a computer where did u mount the monitor and drive on ur sled lol
Made some brackets for the front grab bar. But you can only see it when you're standing. I sit on the tower- not comfortable....
Oh, and it's a Commodore 64!!
[:D]

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
PRIMER
When I worked in a shop we pulled alot of chokes and installed primers.
3 squirts cold and your off to the races.

·
Registered
101 Posts
choke.
we had an old polaris before with primer and that thing would flood so easily, it was such a fine line as to how much it could take.
1 pump of prime wouldn't be enough, but 2 full ones would flood it out! it was frustrating. never had a problem with chokes on any of the sleds or 4 wheelers.

·
Registered
539 Posts
primer for me.
all the rotary valve intake rotax motors had a primer on them. this was because a choke on a rotary valve intake motor will not work to get it started. bombardier installed a primer to fix this problem. i have always loved firing my rotary valve rotax motors up with one pull on a -20 morning..try doing that with a choke.
if you cannot figure out how to use the primer without flooding the motor, you should go back to the idiot proof choke system.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Primer is way better than chokes. I was at a camp a few nights ago and we had two 07 Bravos. Left them out in -30C overnight. Next morning i give them a crapload of primes and they each started with one pull.

But if you do have a primer you need to learn how to work it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts