Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the outside studs on my track of my ZRT ripped out and it took a part of the track with it. About a 50 cent piece size out of the side of the track. and it is starting to split about 1 inch up the track past that. I am wondering if tracks just continue to rip or do they pretty much stop at that point of the original problem. I am worried that this "crack" and "chunk" is going to split more. What do I do? A new track is out of my options. THANKS!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
is the chunk missing right on the edge of the track? ive heard that when a rip or tear gets to the very edge of the track, the track wont last long, although if it is in the middle, or not on the edge, it should run for awhile

i would still check out options for a new or used track just in case.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Had that happen to my 670. Tools needed: flat-blade screwdriver and a propane torch. Heat the blade with the torch and then melt the track back where it ripped with the hot screwdriver, like clotterizing a cut. make sure you melt the track at ALL the places that are torn. Don't use the torch directly on the track use the heat, not the flame. Degraded rubber (burned, charred)is weaker then melted rubber. Then remove the studs from the outside of the track, keeping the stress in the middle of the track. Watch out it will handle a little different in the corners. This has lasted over 1000 mile for me.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
If the rest of the track is in good shape here is another option:

http://www.carrolltech.com/faqs.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
go to www.carrolltech.com they repair tracks thinking of sending mine out this summer.if you do send it out let me know hw it comes out

G

·
Hey Matty I finally got bored and started posting again.... That kinda gives new meaning to "gettin screwed" don't it? As I told you when you asked me - I think you should replace it or better yet sell your Dell and get a F7. I had a track split apart on me out in the boonies and it wasn't much fun. I know that on out race sleds we used to do the same thing with a bolt to melt the stud holes. :)

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
My dad put those ties that you pull to tighten in the track of my old 250 Bravo, right on the outside edge of the window, it made it last a few weeks, but I think I would send my track to that track repair place the guy's are talking about, I think it will last a lot longer if it sent to them.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Depends on how many miles are on the track. I would start looking for a different track now. A lot of dealers have take off tracks that are like new. I wouldn't send a track in to get it fixed unless it was over the summer. I would think there would a lot of down time getting it fixed this time of year.Riley

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i am wondering if I just just ride the heck out of it the rest of the season. Thanks for the replyies all. I am cosidering the repair place. CAn't afford it now so i am going to do the screwdriver method. I will get a pic of it on here this weekend when I go back home from college again.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I talked to a guy that repairs tracks in my area and was trained by carroll tech. I remember him saying that 80 or 90% of repairs can be done with track on the sled. Another place to find a cheap track is on Ebay

·
Registered
749 Posts
I would be carefull if i were you. remember, when that thing comes flying off at 30 to 110mph don't expect to live through it. As long as its it is dangerous. Remember no brakes and no steering.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have seen a track come out the back of a sled. The track had studs and when it came out it tore up the mud flap, seat, and slapped the guy in the back tore his jacket, put stud marks in his helmet, and knocked the wind right out of him. I wouldn't drive it. Riley

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, I did the hot melting thing like suggested above and drove it like 20 miles hard and no problem. I checked it when I got back and it looked fine, not progressing at all. I will probally tip it over and remelt it even more next weekend when I go home again. Time will tell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When you do go to replace the track, try tracksusa,.They are in Minn.(They dont need tracks there this year anyhow).I got a 1 inch challenger for my girlfriends sled there for $311 plus i think$20 shipping.Works great.Oh, and i called carrolltech about repairing the one on my xc two years ago.It was ripped from the side in about 1.5 inches.It was gonna cost me $150 and i dont think that included shipping to and from Albany, N.Y..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts