Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting an old 2 place trailer from a guy at work it is steal with wood deck and wood front sheild. I would like to clean it up so heres a few questions.

I would change the sheild to something a little lighter and something I can paint anyone have any ideas on material? I was think some sort of aluminum sheeting or plastic with a good frame. I prefer a DIY cause I can't afford those prebuilt units.

Also same goes for deck if possible something lighter than wood but can hold up to the weight.

Also anything you guys may suggest or you may have added to your trailer that I will probally run into needing over time. I am making a panel to house some lights to shine on the deck for night use.

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Compositetech the first thing I would do is replace the bearings,seals and tires. Nothing recks a day more then a burned out bearing or a flat tire. Oh ya get a spare tire. Plastic 55 gal drums make a good salt shield. Cut a drum in half and mount it to the trailer with some hinges. Riley

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well before i would start hauling on an old steel sled trailer, i would get a buddy or two and turn it upside down to check on the condition of the steel underneath. I've see more than one steel trailer that is bent/broke like and upside down "v" right above the axle. I've also seen a trailer have the tongue mounting brackets rust and eventually break off, that was not a pretty site to see two brand new sleds still strapped to the trailer sitting upside down in the ditch. So anyways thats the reason aluminum trailers have caught on so well. Just be sure its a sturdy/solid trailer. Also like Riley said repack the wheel bearings and replace the Tires. I like the idea of the plastic 55 gal drums as a salt sheild. My uncle has this setup on his trailer right now. As for the decking, I would stick with the tried and true plywood.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Excellent idea to use a plastic drum for a salt shield. Here's a question though, what about building your own trailer? I have seen plans on Ebay for 8 bucks. Of course you would spend alot more money but as least you know what you got when you're done. Just a thought.[:)]

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
xltspyeah,

You could certainly build your own I guess. My old neighbor used to build 3-5 trailers a year as a hobby. I bought a 8x8 steel from him back in the early 90's. The trailer worked just fine for the years I used it.

Of course, I eventually got an aluminum trailer, then there is not looking back. Lighter, easier to tow, better designed, less maintenance, etc...

Not sure what you could even build a trailer for anymore. But after tires, axel, springs, steel, and wood decking, I imagine you might be pushing $400. You could get a very nice used aluminium trailer for not much more than that. In fact, a friend of mine just sold his for $600, which included a factory salt shield and third wheel.

just my .02

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey compositetech if you ARE going to stick with the trailer that you bought, then the only thing I can suggest it this, if you have an old track that isn't any good any more, I would cut it in half across the track(as in two pieces) and screw each half on the left and right side of the trailer with the lugs facing up, that way you will have great traction to get your sleds on the trailer without spinning the tracks on the sleds.
Also you want to make sure and have a good sheild, otherwise, you will get all kinds of scum on your nice clean sleds, salt and all

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Originally posted by TriumphoverU
[br] I've also seen a trailer have the tongue mounting brackets rust and eventually break off, that was not a pretty site to see two brand new sleds still strapped to the trailer sitting upside down in the ditch.

Very true Triumph - this happened to me when I bought an old trailer from a farmer. Had my new at the time 97 XC 600 on the trailer when the mounting brackets broke. The trailer nose dove into the road and started cart-wheeling down the road - the sled came off and rolled repeatedly down the road. [B)] Needles to say at 65 MPH the sled was totaled. If I can find the old pics I will post them - It still haunts me to trailer sleds to this day!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts