Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after blowing my 800 zrt up, i decided i should pull the 600 Zrt i bought last week off the trailer and clean the carbs, I was wondering if there was any tips on cleaning these carbs, especially in the removal and installation area, haha, I had a helluva time getting the carbs back in the 800 before, so if anyone has any tips to make this a little less painful, let me know, and anything else i should check or watch out for?, its a 96 600 zrt , 5200 miles, bone stock except an M10, thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
it's pretty straight forward. when i clean them i leave the cables alone and unscrew the big cap on top of the carb, then remove that and the whole slide will come out too.

that hard part is putting the rubber pieces back in between the carb and the airbox, they're a little tricky.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I find the hardest thing is getting the boot to the airbox back on like mnstang said. I find the easiest way to do it is put part if it on and turn it. Check for cracks in the boots from the carb to the motor, they are very bad for cracking.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I find the boots go on easier if you rub a little dish washing liquid around the holes. It makes them nice and slippery and when it drys it gets a little sticky and helps seal.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah thats how i ended up doing the 800's carbs, was a little lubricant, haha, i'm half tempted to go get a set of k&n pods just because this is ridicolous how much of a pain they are

·
Registered
45 Posts
i had the same trouble and solved it by using a welding rod.i knocked off all the coating and cleaned it up so it was smooth and just bent it into a t handle with about a half inch straight hook on the other end.it works well just get the rubber around the bottom of the carb then reach in with the wire hook and it slips right on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When you pull them, disconnect fuel lines and the magnetic switches (if they are still attached), then unscrew the big cap over the slide. Pull the carbs out of the airbox boots and undo the hoseclamp on the reedvalve intake. Then the only thing left attached shoud be the choke cable. Unscrew the cable at the brass fitting by twisting the entire carb, then you won't have to worry about readjusting the choke- which is not a lot of fun. When I did mine, I had to cut 2 of the 3 choke cables becuase they were froze up, and I never did get them loose. But if you have been taking care of your machine- you shouldn't have that problem. I jsut bought mine, and it has been neglected. Anyway....buy a gallon of Berryman B-12 ChemDip or similar soaking solution, it really cleans them up good. Soak each one for 30-45 minutes, put back together, and you should be good to go. I didn't use any lubricant when I put them back in, I just took my time. But I would think a little 2-stroke oil would be a better idea than dishsoap, just my gut feeling. I have been thinking about the K&N or Kickass pod filters, but have heard too many horror stories about freezing up. I wonder if it's more of an issue for mountain/powder riders than it would be for us flatland farmfield riders. Thoughts????

·
Registered
102 Posts
BTW, keep me posted on your sled. If I remember right, it was for sale on johndee.com, and I was kicking myself for missing out on the M-10. I bought mine, stock, from a guy the weekend before I saw that one for sale, if it is the one I am thinking of.....

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it was for sale in woodville , ohio, not sure if it was on johndee, but i just drove by it, saw the M10 and it was pretty much sold, haha, it also has chrome pipes, which are kind of neat, i'm hoping that getting the carbs in and out on this thing is a little easier than my 800, that took almost an hour just to get the bastards back in, i got a buddy that just obught a rev, and he called me after he had his out, cleaned and back in in about an hour, so he gave me crap about cats, haha

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[attachment=52680]
[attachment=52681]
theres a few pics of the new one, two selling points for me, paid 1300 for it, didnt think that was too bad seeing how three years ago they paid 1250 for that skid

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
nice pick up on the 600 ,like the rest of the members says ,those boots are a pain ,,also working on my 96 zrt 800 also ,but i use wd 40 ,make sure they are good ,had to replace all of them on my 96 zrt 600 ,and arctic cat is proud of them!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts