Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The flatslide Mikuni carbs seem to be a little more daunting to people than they really are, so I decided to put together a little guide on how to remove and disassemble them.

I will be adding more pictures since I decided to do this after I already started the process.

First you need to remove the carbs.

1. You will need to remove the airbox or open the airbox and remove the wall that has the rubber boots. This will vary from sled to sled. But should be pretty self explanatory. For example on a 2002 XC500 you need to open the airbox lid and remove the wall. On a 2003 XCsp 600 the whole airbox comes out.

2. Disconnect the rubber hoses coming into the carbs. There are 5 total. Three of them have hose clamps. You will need to use a pliers squeeze the clamps to slide them off the connection. Turn off the gas line with the shutoff valve.

3. There is a clamp that holds each carb to the carb boots. Loosen the screw on the clamp. You don't need to completely disconnect these, you just need them loose enough so that the carbs will slide out of the boots.

4. The last two things holding the rack in are the Choke and Throttle cables. You should be able to lift the rack most of the way out of the machine. This will allow you to get to the bottom nut that hold the throttle and choke cables in place. Leave the top nut tight. This will allow you to keep the cables adjusted the way they were. Loosen the bottom nut. You will now need disconnect the cables from the cams that they lift. Roll the cam up with one hand and use the other to feed the cable out of the cam.

5. The carbs should now be free from the machine.

6. Turn the carbs upside down to drain excess gas from them.

My recommendation is to work with one carb at a time.

1. Remove the cover at the top of one of the carbs. There are two large phillips screws to be removed. This will allow you to remove the top.

2. This is what you will see inside. Sorry about the focus.
[attachment=17749]
Remove the needle as indicated in the photo. When you slide the needle out be careful not to loose the plastic ring that sits under the c-clip. If it doesn't come out on the needle you will want to remove it from the carb. Wipe the needle down with a rag using some carb cleaner. Set the parts aside.

3. Now remove the float bowl from the bottom of the carb. To do so you will need to remove the large nut in the middle. It's the nipple that the hose is attached. Then remove the little phillips screw in the corner. The bottom should now come off and this is what you will see.
[attachment=17751]
Remove the jets as indicated in the photo. Clean all the jets by spraying them down with carb cleaner. They can also be soaked in carb cleaner.

4. Now spray down the entire carb with cleaner. Make sure to spray into any of the passages you see. When complete I use compressed air to spray it down.

5. Reassemble and do the other carb.

6. Put the carbs back in the machine.

7. Turn the gas line back on.

8. Choke the machine and pull it over till it starts.

As I stated above I will be adding some more pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
man i love it when guys post up this type of stuff, while i don't need the info, its always great to see people helping others out...[:)]

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hats off to you DARKSTAR great job

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks a lot Darkstar, I just got done doing mine for the first time and your instuctions helped a lot. For anyone else, tools needed:

2.5 mm Allen Wrench
17mm Wrench
6mm Wrench
Small and large Standard Screwdriver
Medium Phillips Screwdriver
Neddle Nose Pliers
3 lbs sledge hammer, no wait that's for another project.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks man! I'm very new at this sport (native southerner) but I"m loving it and can tell that I'll be needing to learn a thing or two about wrenching on these things.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Thanks Darkstar, this article has helped me a lot, i was getting woried about taking mine off and celaning them when the time comes but not any more[:)]

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
thanks DARKSTAR that will help when i take a part my carbs

·
Registered
1 Posts
The flatslide Mikuni carbs seem to be a little more daunting to people than they really are, so I decided to put together a little guide on how to remove and disassemble them.

I will be adding more pictures since I decided to do this after I already started the process.

1. You will need to remove the airbox or open the airbox and remove the wall that has the rubber boots. This will vary from sled to sled. But should be pretty self explanatory. For example on a 2002 XC500 you need to open the airbox lid and remove the wall. On a 2003 XCsp 600 the whole airbox comes out.

2. Disconnect the rubber hoses coming into the carbs. There are 5 total. Three of them have hose clamps. You will need to use a pliers squeeze the clamps to slide them off the connection. Turn off the gas line with the shutoff valve.

3. There is a clamp that holds each carb to the carb boots. Loosen the screw on the clamp. You don't need to completely disconnect these, you just need them loose enough so that the carbs will slide out of the boots.

4. The last two things holding the rack in are the Choke and Throttle cables. You should be able to lift the rack most of the way out of the machine. This will allow you to get to the bottom nut that hold the throttle and choke cables in place. Leave the top nut tight. This will allow you to keep the cables adjusted the way they were. Loosen the bottom nut. You will now need disconnect the cables from the cams that they lift. Roll the cam up with one hand and use the other to feed the cable out of the cam.

1. Remove the cover at the top of one of the carbs. There are two large phillips screws to be removed. This will allow you to remove the top.

[attachment=17749]
Remove the needle as indicated in the photo. When you slide the needle out be careful not to loose the plastic ring that sits under the c-clip. If it doesn't come out on the needle you will want to remove it from the carb. Wipe the needle down with a rag using some carb cleaner. Set the parts aside.

3. Now remove the float bowl from the bottom of the carb. To do so you will need to remove the large nut in the middle. It's the nipple that the hose is attached. Then remove the little phillips screw in the corner. The bottom should now come off and this is what you will see.
[attachment=17751]
Remove the jets as indicated in the photo. Clean all the jets by spraying them down with carb cleaner. They can also be soaked in carb cleaner.

4. Now spray down the entire carb with cleaner. Make sure to spray into any of the passages you see. When complete I use compressed air to spray it down.

[attachment=17749]

[attachment=17751]

Thanks for the help im doing mine now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts