Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the carbs off my 700 RMK and decided to go threw and clean them and I am finding out that the slid carbs are quit different to what I am use to. Dose anyone know where I could get a schematic or information to help me with this process??

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Here ya go. Darkstar knows his stuff.
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35843

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dark star rocks!

Hey I noticed that there is some kind of sealer or gasket material used from the factory assembly on the float housing gasket. I would assume this is needed upon assembly. What product should I use?

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I've never replaced the gasket after cleaning, and I have yet to have a leak. Unless you scraped the gasket off, you will probably be fine. Even though I am sure they are quite cheap.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, I am amazed that one screw will keep the seal..

I have another problem. I attempted to remove the three jets. (In your pic) and the middle one is giving me some trouble. I got it to start reversing out and it went about 3 full turns then stopped. I didn't think this was rite but I can not figure it out. I know have semi striped the jet and some how need to get it out to be replaced. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey I did find a cool web site with lots of schematic that can be reviewed and printed.

www.partsland.com

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by srut700rmk
[br]Thanks again, I am amazed that one screw will keep the seal..

I have another problem. I attempted to remove the three jets. (In your pic) and the middle one is giving me some trouble. I got it to start reversing out and it went about 3 full turns then stopped. I didn't think this was rite but I can not figure it out. I know have semi striped the jet and some how need to get it out to be replaced. Any suggestions?
Only one screw? Guess I have only seen four, then again I have never been around flatside's either.

There shouldn't be anything stopping it from coming out. Try spraying some Penetrating oil or even WD40 on it and let it soak for awhile.

Is your jets the kind that a screwed in/out with a flathead screwdriver or is it octogon shaped?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am stumped and afraid of damaging the carb. The copper screw needs to be extracted and in its current location, this could be difficult.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I guess I would keep going at it after letting it soak for awhile, the threads could be rusted or even bad. Try not to let it slip, but if you do end up stripping it completely out, you can take them out with an easy out or a reversed drill bit.

Like I said earlier, I am not familiar with the flatsides, but from Darkstar's post they sound basically the same as a round slide. No hidden tricks or anything.

BTW - Now that I think about it, I have taken apart a roundslide that only had one screw holding it on. I never had a problem with it leaking after reassembly.

*edit* - I have to head to class, good luck.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by SleD_CrEW
[br]get carb cleaner. or ask ur dealer
How does that help him out????

*edit* - Nevermind...I saw you had at least 14 posts within 1 minute.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Carb cleaner did it..... Just kidden.I did get it out though. I just needed the confidence to keep going at it. Thanks for that..

I think what happened is I disformed the flat head slot and a piece of copper was hitting the aluminum side wall of the jet sleeve. I think this is what was giving me the resistance because the side walls are now scratched up.. I am considering using a drill bit to smooth the side walls out.
What do you guys think??

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Don't use the drill bit, pretty easy for things to go bad fast. Try using some emery cloth, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ya, I think you are rite. However, do you think the scratches will change the performance in any way. I think this jet is only used in the low end anyways.... yep, I checked the schematic, it is called the starter. I assume this means it dose all its work in the low end.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Yep, it's the idle and up to 2,000 rpms I believe. I could be wrong on the rpm's, but it is the lower side of it.

I would be quite surprised if little scratches effected it at all. Wouldn't hurt to run a emery cloth on it just to smooth out the petrusions for when you put in the new jet, but I'm guessing it's not that bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts